Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

After my last run-in with Asus support made me realize I was on my own to fix the pen problems (the last guy told me to uninstall my display driver, which made the backlight LED's stay on during sleep - which obviously didn't last long!!) I updated the BIOS and all of the drivers, including the SOC driver. It has not helped much. I've gone as much as a week between pen dying, to having it die multiple times during the day (symptom is usually that it is not working after resuming from sleep). So no guarantees there.

I would love to love this thing. But I've been barely able to restrain myself from throwing it at a wall everytime I pull the pen from it's silo and it doesn't work. I would strongly NOT recommend this tablet :(

2. norazi

norazi Pen Pal - Newbie

sent my 64gb unit in about a month ago with a dead stylus (was about 2wks old at the time) and it just came back with the following work order notes:

- Replaced M80TA DIGI FFC 9P 35mm
    - Replaced M80TA TOUCH FFC 10P 42mm
    - Reload OS

Looks like they replaced 2 cables? Everything works great now so my fingers are crossed

3. Vienna

Vienna Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm in the market for a tablet (for handwriting notes in class) and the vivotab note 8 caught my eye; but it seems like every other post in the asus subforum is about some problem or another with the vivotab. how common is this digitizer error?

4. TWhit1964

TWhit1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just curious - before your stylus stopped working, did you ever try to calibrate it with the tool from control panel for calibrating pen input?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Apparently very.;)

6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When the digitizer works, this is a most handy computer.
    Some of us have 2 of them...one to use and while the other
    is in for repair.

If they replace the hardware components, it seems so far the
    tablets are working.

Be VERY CLEAR in your return note that this is the problem
    and not just reset your device.

7. HeartStrong07

HeartStrong07 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the way I am looking at it (I return my HP Slate 7 Extreme tomorrow) is to expect the pen to go dead, and expect to have the unit replaced, or repaired, so anything else is a plus

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That's the right state of mind.

HeartStrong07 likes this.
  9. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I purchased is little tablet, the 64gb model, Saturday night and it should be delivered anytime starting tomorrow. I sure hope I am lucky insofar as the stylus and some other problems I have been reading about on these threads. I had to make my purchase through Amazon due to where I live (Hawaii - outer island).

I have a Wacom Cintiq Companion and am on my second unit there due to the first having a faulty charging port. I wanted a little tablet to be able to take with me everywhere that would allow me to run Corel Painter 2015. Painter is my software of choice for the type of work I do. Just works for me. I know I will not be able to large pieces but sketching out small thumbnail ideas was more of what I had in mind and then I can enlarge upon them on the Cintiq. If this little tablet is unreliable like some have had then I will try out a surface pro 2. I would consider the SP3 but surfaceProArtist gave me feedback that it is still having some trouble with Painter right now.

I hope this next year sees more of these penabled devices hit the market...with higher ram and more battery life. But it is fun to have this capability even now to be able to do serious work and not be tethered to a desk. I have very much enjoyed perusing these posts on this thread and others. Always amazed at the wondrous information offered by the members on this forum.

10. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Great! I hope it works for you. Please post some art made with you new tool in the art forum. We'd love to see ad hear how Painter performs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.