Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Beware, once your digitizer quits the auto-self destruct has been engaged....

Back up your files as it will take more and more exotic ways to "fix it"

Good Luck

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

ok......I'm done

Just finished packing and about ready to send my 1st 32GB 02/2014 Note 8 unit back to Asus for a 3rd Round of RMA Service. Little more then a month ago I had purchased a 64GB model from the 05/2014 batch, to act as backup for the 32GB model when it needed RMA serivce.

Not a single digiziter failure from the 64GB Model.....until...Today...out of the blue....my Backup note experienced the Code 10 error of death, and I haven't even sent the 1st unit in yet. However absolutely none of the tricks to get the digitizer back temporarily have worked.....its dead for good. Which really sucks for me because I'm leaving for a 3-week euro trip next week and was really hoping to have my Note 8 on hand.

So even going the psycho route and buying a 2nd Tablet as a backup when your other unit is going to get RMA'ed won't even be a sufficient solution; you'd need a backup tablet for the backup tablet.

As much as I have loved this little tablet dearly...there comes a time in all abusive relationships where one partner just has to cast away the other to retain some small semblance of sanity. So I adieu you goodbye Asus Note 8.

I don't think any other Tablet PC has ever had such a masochistic relationship with it uses as the Note 8 has.

Once I return from Europe, I'm going to get the Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet....I'm done with Asus.

I

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    HeavyHanded and fishdavis like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Your stars are just aligned completely whack! That IS an abusive relationship, maybe Asus Thinks you enjoy a Little spanking? :)

4. TWhit1964

TWhit1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope not. This tablet is wonderful when it works. I'll post in the future if I have further problems. My main gripe with it is that Microsoft customer support SUCKS!!! I bought this tablet on the "Official Microsoft Store on Ebay" - and yes, Microsoft DOES sell through Ebay. BIG MISTAKE. DON"T BUY FROM THE MICROSOFT STORE ON EBAY. At least not unless that option is giving you an unbeatable deal. Because apparently, all the branches of Microsoft haven't gotten word about the existence of the Microsoft Store on Ebay. When I first called Microsoft customer service on 8/9/2014 (I bought the tablet on 7/17/2014), the guy told me "Microsoft doesn't sell items on Ebay". As of 8/16/2014, it appears they now are aware of the existence of the Ebay store, but I still can't get any help from them because they don't have any records showing that I bought anything from Microsoft. They asked me for my "Proof of Purchase". Well, the proof of purchase is the Ebay transaction data which is online plus I paid with PayPal. This is all information Microsoft should be able to see, but apparently can't. So, they won't provide help. I was told it's between me and Ebay. So, I opened up a dispute on Ebay - can't get technical support as specifically advertised in the item listing.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You can't mail the transaction data to Microsoft?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. TWhit1964

Sure I could have. I could have emailed it to them through my Outlook.com account that I created with my new tablet. They didn't ask me to, though. Even better would be if they told me "OK, sir, could you please log onto your Ebay account, go to your purchase history for the item you bought from our Ebay store, and send a message to verify your identity. Then we can continue your support.". To which I would have replied "sure - I'll do that right now. Hold on while I do that". There are many things Microsoft customer support could have done but didn't.

7. HeartStrong07

HeartStrong07 Pen Pal - Newbie

Man, I want to buy this tablet.. About to sell my brand new replacement HP Slate 7 Extreme (which I bought instead of this tablet) and a used OnePlus One to buy it and accessories... But afraid the pen will die on me

Bronsky, HeavyHanded and Dave47 like this.
  8. TWhit1964

I've only had mine for about 1 month, so I can't comment on longevity of this tablet. But I am very happy with it as long as it works. I'll post again if I have further problems. My problems all started after I tried to calibrate the pen input using the calibration tool from the control panel. And my problems all ended when I successfully eliminated the calibration data that I altered with the calibration tool from the control panel.
    I am also really liking Windows 8.1. I'm not seeing why so many people hate it. I now want to upgrade my desktop and get a touch screen monitor.

9. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Well, mine has been in the Asus Repair Bay over three weeks so hopefully it comes back soon. I see on the Japanese website they are selling a white VivoTab Note 8 with a free TV tuner. I wonder if they've fixed the problem in their manufacturing process.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  10. zokbari

zokbari Pen Pal - Newbie

I strongly recommend you guys to install "SOC Driver Package" (2014/06/20 update) at support site: Tablet & Mobile - ASUS VivoTab Note 8 (M80TA) - ASUS

It reconfigures mainboard related drivers including trivial ports and related chips. you can hear that device unplug-replug Windows sounds during installation.
    I struggled stylus issue yesterday, but it works pretty reliable after the installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.