Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I didn't know about the $50 charge. That makes it even less desirable. So assuming dealing with Asus is a non option, the failure rate would need to be over 30% for the expected cost of the MS complete to be cheaper than replacement. Really the failure rate would probably have to be higher if you factor in that the price of a new VN8 will likely be lower in the future in the event you have to replace it. If we take your $300 number the failure rate would have to be above 40% (100+50*.4=300*.4=120).

2. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my new one from MS today as well. And it was just in time because the digitizer on my old AVN8 completely stopped working with the same device error. Neither disabling and enabling the device nor cold shutdown fixed it. I also deleted the device and have Windows reinstalling it but that did not help either. It's going back to MS for refund. I really really hope the same crap won't happen on my new one.

3. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, I forgot to mention that the factory restore did not fix the pen problem either.

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I'm not sure I follow your calculation but it seems spending $150 is cheaper than a new device which can't possibly be less than $250. But its personal preference, of course. I'm just wondering what the options are for future issues and the best way to get them fixed.

5. Mesosphere

It definitely is cheaper if a failure happens. My calculation factored in the odds that it will happen. So if the odds of device failure are greater than 40% MS complete is statistically a better deal (assuming a $300 rebuy price). If the odds are less than 40% you are better off (statistically) rebuying in the event of failure. Of course this doesn't factor in "peace of mind," which has a personal value associated with it. Personally I always goes with the numbers on risks I can afford to take. In the long run I'll end up with more money in my pocket that way (provided I'm mot very unlucky). I doubt the odds of failure are as high as 40%, and, while I wouldn't be happy, I can afford to replace the VN8 if I had to, so I think my choice will be to skip the coverage provided I'm not convinced within the next couple weeks that the rate of failure is much higher than I suspect it is.

6. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I found the culprit....Rainmeter. I installed a theme that has a side task bar. I can only right swipe where there are noside taskbar icons....very interesting....more testing

hmmmm...not sure if it's rainmeter....I ended the process and still getting the behavior. when I spin the tablet around and try different orientations...only the "Normal Portrait Rightside (Asus on the bottom) has the issue....hmmmmmm

I gotta call Buehler

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I collected my replacement yesterday, so far all is well. Fingers crossed!

8. Mesosphere

Wishing you luck =)

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My replacement has performed perfectly. Service at the MS Store was painless. Good luck with yours.

10. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

I was reading this thread and being thankful that my tablet didn't have this problem. Five minutes later I went to write some notes in one note and voilà no pen. Tried anabling and disabling the driver... no luck. Shutdown and restarts no luck. Called the MS store made an appointment. They replaced the tablet un the return period so I paid the 80 bucks for the 64GB.. Setup the new unit and back in business with complete still intact in case it happens again. MS Service was great and patient as the new unit was setup to make sure all was well. Would be better if the hardware didn't fail, and a pain to re-setup, but overall simple, straightforward and without aggravation. All within a few hours of it happening. Heres hoping this is not a consistent build issue.