Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calanthe42

Calanthe42 Pen Pal - Newbie

First Post here. I researched the Vivotab thoroughly but decided to take a chance anyway. 4 Hours after unboxing I had a wonky pen. Since I had read all the posts on al the threads I knew what not to do. But I tried pens I already had...Bamboo and Samsung Note 8. It finally started working again after I re-started it. But then, an hour later, it locked up...frozen solid. Had to do a hard reset and then a system refresh.
    I let it rest an hour, then started again. This time the digitizer did not recognize pen or finger!! It was a brick. It took a long time to even get it to shut down. Then I did compete system restore.
    That worked great the rest of the evening.
    This morning it worked about an hour then pen went wonky again.
    I did another complete system restore and generated a return to Amazon.
    It is on it's way back and I have requested a replacement.
    I will update how things go with new one.
    Build was 06-2014.
    First time I have heard of one so new being flawed. I think I may have set the new record...less than 24 hours!

2. T-Bone

T-Bone Pen Pal - Newbie

my pen stopped working 2 days ago. I bought it at the beginning of April.

restore-->refresh the system did solve the problem (for now). Let's see how long will it last ...

3. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

The Microsoft Store support is crazy good. I went to the store with the Asus and they took it back even though i was beyond the 30 days and gave me a new one

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Does that model have the White Back? I know for newer built models they ditched the all black build and now have a white back and white pen.....I was hoping those would be "better manufactured" given the high digitizer pen failure rate. If so that thats just all kinds of suckitude.

My own pen died completely again and nothing can get it back. After trying a few "recommend fixes" by Asus's tech support idiot of the day, I'm now in the process of prepping my unit for RMA round #2......

In just the 2 weeks I had a functional unit, I can't believe how invaluable it was, and as much as I love my new SP3....I can't see myself using it in the same fashion I carried the MT80 around. As much as I hate the white backs of the new units (little by little its becoming a mini ep121 more and more)....I was considering buying another unit....hoping the newly manufactured units wouldn't have the same failure rate....

but oh joy......

5. Calanthe42

6. T-Bone

T-Bone Pen Pal - Newbie

could it be because of the major update (last month) after the release of Windows 8.1.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

IMO, it's because Asus sucks as an ODM.

8. Jpwinks

Jpwinks Pen Pal - Newbie

Do the white models have the same pen problem? Did anyone confirm this? I really want to buy one of these but the thought of returning it soon as I have it really stinks... darn Asus.

9. markkemperman

markkemperman Pen Pal - Newbie

If the most recent builds are now showing problems, time to call the AVTN8 as a fail, period.

Would be reluctant to go Asus again after this - with the Surface Mini a no-show, makes the 8" space (with a quality digitizer + Windows 8) up for grabs.

If any manufacturer cares :(

[Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro]

Dave47 likes this.
  10. Calanthe42

Mine had a build date of 06-2014 and came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1
    I returned it 24 hours after getting it due to digitizer wonkyness. The replacement is due tomorrow.
    I'll post results.
    I really REALLY want the next one to work!

(Thank God for Amazon return policy.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.