Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So far I'm seeing that when the Pen dies....the "wacom device" in the human interface field still says its working fine. Only when I disable and reenable it does the error symbol and Code 10 error pop up.

However I pressed the rollback function....and the pen started working right away.

However the Wacom name is gone and the device type name reverted back to HID Compliant Pen

I remember amongst the threads reading that other users had pen failures without the Feel it Driver installed.....but I can't recall anyone mentioning Code 10 Errors with the Device type under the HID Compliant Pen name.

Perhaps the problem is on Wacom's end with the Feel it Driver.....that would explain why Asus is seemingly unable to fix the problem since it might not actually be their problem.

2. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

When my original failed it was labelled as "HID I2C Device", no specific Wacom reference.

Cheers,
    Alex

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Do you have the Asus firmware update installed on your unit?

4. vladutz

vladutz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

My VTN8 just came back from service: motherboard replaced.
    Let us see if it fails again.

Thank you,

5. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

New problem folks :

If you recall (I am the OP), My AVN8 pen input failed two weeks after purchase (02/07), was RMAed in five days top (disassembled/reassembled) and worked fine... it still does today BUT
    The same dreaded "Code 10" happened now twice on the touch device (which is also a I2C HID device), with no touch. A reboot or a recharge and it worked again.
    I'm pretty sure that it will fail again to the point it will be definitive. I'll bet that it will surely be RMAed again and disassembled/reassembled... AGAIN.

Someone at ASUS QA's staff should be fired for good (and replaced, but the question could be : is there still a QA staff ?)

Regards,

6. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

What was Asus' fix for you again? Was any hardware replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think someone asked about the Asus firmware for the stylus. It was posted earlier in the thread by Stroh Mr Plow in post #33. It was sent to him by Asus support. I would imagine all the latest built tablets already have them or maybe even have newer firmwares. So check your version first (there's a file there to do that) before flashing.

8. vince.chee

vince.chee Pen Pal - Newbie

My AVTN8 had come back from service center, they changed my cable in the screen which control the digitizer, everything is working fine now!
    I suggest you all send you device to service center before the warranty ended.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeap, I installed that awhile back, made a huge difference in pen responsiveness....and since my unit is functioning the same post firmware (when the digitizer works) the re-installing of Windows 8 done by the RMA series either retained the Firmware or they reinstalled it.

So today....was getting the oil changed in my car at a 15 min oil change place....took my Note8 out for some quick sketching while I waited....starting scribbling in Sketchbook Pro....and then mid sketch the digitizer died....and I couldn't get it back up.....sleep, restart, shutdown.....nothing got it back....spent the whole 15 minute wait trying to get the pen working to no luck......

Once I got home I started playing around in Device Manager

Without the Wacom Feel it Driver installed

Under Human Interface Devices....the HID-compliant Pen was fine....but there was an error on one of the I2C HID Device tabs (there's 2) I disabled it and re-enabled it....and then my pen started working for the rest of the day

Sketched with it for over 2 hours without the digitizer failing and I went back to it numerous times.

There is one new thing though....after I start it up..the digitizer works fine on the windows log-in page....I have the cursor and everything for imputing my password.....but after it accepts my password the cursor fades away and the digitzer seemingly dies....for a period of 10-15 seconds....then randomly it starts working again after that small gap of time......weird.....I even restarted it 6 times and that behavior remained constant the whole day.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You know Darkmagistric, your problems make me uncertain about taking this M80TA to the MS Store. I doubt very much that they'll repair it and I'll just get a swap unit. I've been 120 days with no digitizer issues. My device runs perfectly and hasn't skipped a beat in the entire time I've owned it. I think I've had only one reset and the unit can sleep and hibernate for weeks without being shut down. The only problem I have is with the LCD. I have 2, 1" inch-long lines about a pixel or two wide on the display that look like the LCD fluid is leaking from one cell of the LCD to the other. If you look for it, you can easily see it. But, it doesn't really interfere with the operation of the display. I don't notice it most of the time.

Although I was eager to take the unit back to the MS Store, I'm having second thoughts. The new units have not proven to be immune from the digitizer problem and even some of the repaired units have relapsed. I'm probably going to hang onto it for a while longer, maybe as long as the digitizer works flawlessly. It's a shame too, because just knowing that the display is not right bothers me, even though it is not much of a problem. I'm as OCD as the rest of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.