Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Faulty in what way though... I just unpacked my AVN8 from my bag and also had my pen abandon me. I thought the magnet on my bag that holds the top latch kind of destroyed the pen. Thanks to the tips here though, I checked the device manager as well and got told that Windows disabled the I2C device due to an issue with the SET_POWER or so command. Disabling and re-enabling returned my pen to function, for how long though, that's the question.

2. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did Asus give any reason why the firmware hasn't been released yet? Or if it is planned to be releases soon? Seems odd they have a fix for a known problem and aren't getting it out to users asap.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

lonaysta likes this.
  3. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

Didn't say. It wasn't a personalised email to me, it was a generic RMA process email stating the item was found to be faulty. I'll see if I can find out though.

Cheers,
    Alex

4. iadagraca

iadagraca Pen Pal - Newbie

whelp my pen has basically stopped working.

time to get ready to rma, any tips for doing this....

i'm further saddened by this with the fact that update made the pen so much better...why did this happen now...

5. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I've installed the 2309 fix and I am experiencing problems with the side swipes...the one on the right side that brings up the Windows 8 choice charms.

Seems like my finger touches are seen as more mouse clicks....like the right mouse button is down.
    I have my desktop in single touch mode...maybe that has something to do with it.

But before the 2309, I didn't have this problem. More testing

6. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Since yesterday, my I2C pen driver failed on me several times now. I'm really not thrilled about this. Why is this happening all of the sudden?

7. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, mine started misbehaving after about a week and a half, then quickly deteriorated to permanently broken. My new one arrived today while I was at my other office so I'm looking forward to checking it out tomorrow. But I won't be able to relax about it until a few weeks of trouble free operation.

Cheers,
    Alex

8. efjay

I wonder of getting Microsoft complete is worth it since this could crop up when you are past your return date. Then rather than having to deal with RMA's you'd get a new one from MS.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Not a bad thought. I wonder how likely this is to happen, and how bad it will be to deal with Asus. Seems hit and miss so far. If the odds of this happening are less that 1 in 4 and I don't want to deal with Asus, I'm better off buying a new one in the event this happens than buying Microsoft complete.

10. efjay

Well I had a Vivotab TF810 and that thread has its fair share of horror stories with Asus support. I'm thinking 6 months down the line you'd only be out $99 for the warranty + $50 for a new device (IIRC) vs risking Asus support or buying new for maybe $300. Plus its transferable. Guess I'll see what happens within my return window.