Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al404

al404 Pen Pal - Newbie

new with this tablet and hope this problem is going to be fix soon, i didn't try pen yet

i would like to ask if this happens with windows autoupdate or if who has problem also installed wacom drivers? do i need to install wacom drivers?

is it possible to completely drain power? on mac in same case you need to reset pram that is done via keyboard or reset PMU

About NVRAM and PRAM
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Mine started after I installed the Wacom driver, doesn't necessarilly mean there is causality.

3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I never even touched that wacom driver... (never saw the need to install it)

4. NK0d3R

NK0d3R Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed the Wacom driver, I didn't have problems with the stylus but ... battery consumption during sleep skyrocketed, in fact, during sleep it consumed battery at the same rate as it would during normal use. Windows probably couldn't shut it off using the Wacom drivers, so it remained active during sleep which cause other things to remain active. That's my only explanation. Once I reverted to the normal drivers, the problem went away. Also the Wacom drivers don't allow for more calibration points, they just give you 4 points ~1 cm from the edges, so near the edges it became unusable.

5. Kumabjorn

I had a similar problem with the battery, the screen never turned black. Just dark grey since the backlighting was still on.

6. al404

al404 Pen Pal - Newbie

i was wondering about wacom drivers because in onenote, metro interface i don't get the eraser tool
    but i'm just starting to use it

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting....for the first 90 days where my tablet worked fine, putting the device to sleep fully turned the screen off so the battery drain was very minimal, and that is with the older wacom feel it driver, and the newer feel it driver as well.

however, when the pen died I ended up doing a system restore with the recovery sd card, and now I'm having that same backlight problem. Putting it in sleep leaves the backlight on, and even when I shut down the machine, it goes to that blank backlight screen for 5 seconds, the webcam light turns on for some reason, and then the device fully shuts down. Also currently I don't have the wacom driver installed. Not sure what's causing this backlight problem, but my unit didn't exhibit it untill I did the system restore,

8. Kumabjorn

Exact same procedure.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

9. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I upped the virtual memory right after it happened. As a bonus, some larger brushes in art programs are working much better! Mypaint seemed very buggy before this, but now it seems it's the ram that was the culprit.

I highly recommend increasing Virtual Memory even if people don't have pen problems.

edit:just tested sleep mode, battery hasn't drained whereas it was draining heavily before. Feelit driver is installed.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Let me throw in my two bits.

I doubt it's a driver problem. When n-Trig came out on the HP Slate 500, it was, basically, a prototype and there were driver problems. But Wacom has been using this technology for a decade or more and on the three Wacom tablets I have owned I can't remember the last problem I have had that stemmed from Wacom. Plus, the drivers are generalized. IT Feel says "This driver will also support older Penabled Tablet PCs running Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Tablet Edition." One would think if there was a driver problem it would be showing up in other computers as well.

What it does sound like is a hardware problem (and as an OQO 02 owner I had those). Thermal issues are a possibility but the bulk of the cases reported here don't seem to fit.

It sounds to me like mechanical issues. The digitizer connects to the I/O daughterboard via insulated wires with one end of the wire having a non-soldered connector. In small, thin PCs, wires can be squeezed during assembly. If you opened up your OQO you had to make sure to position the wires to make sure this didn't happen.

If a wire is squeezed enough, it can break the wire within the insulation leading to an intermittent connection, break open the insulation leading to an intermittent short, or pull the connector loose leading to an intermittent connection. In any of these cases, just using the tablet might flex things enough to make the connection go bye bye.

This does assume that the pen digitizer data is being sent separately from the touch digitizer data, which I don't know to be the case.

Just a thought. I'm still on the sidelines with my TPT2, waiting to see if MS announces a Wacom version of the Mini tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.