Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Several of us have done this including myself. It worked for a couple of days for me.

I think it is pretty well established now that this is almost certainly a hardware issue, and any software/driver fix is temporary.

Or as SAM would say, AUTO-SELF-DESTRUCT-SEQUENCE-INITIATED!!!!

Mine came back from RMA working (so far), with only a hardware fix applied (a replaced part) and no software changes.

2. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

actually now that I think about it, it was probably a software issue(page file) that caused the pen driver to stop working.

So while it was a snafu, I haven't had the snafu yet.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I hope your right. Good luck =)

squib likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm somewhat skeptical of that being a reliable fix. Its well documented that System Restores won't even fix the digitizer failure, and thats certainly more invasive then reinstalling a few drivers. I restored mine to factory default using the recovery SD card....and it didn't fix it at all.

However I ended up doing the reinstall because I tried uninstalling the Intel HD graphics driver....but I couldn't find that driver to reinstall. Asus's own support site for the Note 8 doesn't even offer that driver.

However, I'm trying to find this j1900 driver you speak of on Asrock but I cant seem to find it. Could you please post the link to that drivers download page?

5. Scarabaea

Scarabaea Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    my pen stopped working today with I2C HID error code 43.
    To me, Asus is dead now. Had a lot of trouble with my transformer infinity and now the next issues with the note 8. Nope, never again!

6. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats an interesting comment, Ill bite. I also believe the pen problems that people here are posting is software related. But the page file comment is certainly plausible. It makes sense since reproduction steps arent consistent to get the pen to stop working (from what Ive read) Usually, when something breaks, you can follow the steps consistently and youll get an end result (like a pen stopped working, in this case)
    But thats not happening with all the posts thus far.

When I checked the pagefile settings, Windows was automatically allocating around 1968MB, which is about 2Gbytes of the hard drive. I manually increased it to 4GB, lol.

But then again, I havent had any pen problems, but it might help you guys.

This setting can be found under Control Panel > System > Advance System Settings > Advanced Tab > Performance > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory (Change)
    Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, tap the radio Custon radio button, and in both fields increase the amount you want. Make sure you have the free space to allocate memory
    on your hard drive.

Nice work detective squib.

- U

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And how do you explain that a fresh install of windows does not solve the issue ?

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. hehee

hehee Pen Pal - Newbie

hi , discover the problem actually re occurred again , this time i delete the registry like the other member mentioned in previous post. this time i also realized the auto run "igfxCUIService1.0.0.0.0" service actually had conflict with the wacom driver . by then disable the services and try to remive some registry entries. the pen work again. for one day till now . will report in if any updates.
    and sorry for the VGA driver i mistaken it isn't from asrock , its giga heres the link
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - CPU Onboard - GA-J1900N-D3V (rev. 1.0)

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just tried changing the virtual memory........and I think it worked, after the restart my pen started working again.

However during the digitizer blackout I've been having since May 12th.....the digitizer would flicker back on occasionally every few restarts for however briefly. So it's still too early to classify this as. Full fix. So now let's see how long this lasts.

10. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

I think there's a bevy of reasons that the pen stops working(ie new Feelit driver, virtual memory & physical damage due to terrible build quality).

For people who can't get their pen back even from a fresh install, it's an unavoidable hardware problem. That's for certain. But I don't believe it's always the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.