Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Question 1: I could go back to my Flyer for the time being, so, I'd send it back
    Question 2: I would absolutely want it back! I really love this little tablet that could, even with its flaws....

2. NK0d3R

NK0d3R Pen Pal - Newbie

My 30 day return period is coming to an end (6 days to go) and I had no problems with the tablet so far. I decided to put it through some stress testing to see how hot can it get. If it should fail, I'd rather have it fail now when I can still return it without sending it to a service. After 30 minutes of Prime95 it got a max of 45 C deg and there were times when some cores were sitting at 34 deg C even at 100 percent usage. One thing I can say for certain, this is one cool CPU, for example between idle and Prime95, on my i7 4770K, the difference is about 30 deg C or more. On this CPU, there's barely any difference. I don't think the digitizer problem is heat related, 45 deg C seems like the temperature at which most electronic devices would be quite comfortable.
    Another thing I don't understand is why this doesn't get more coverage. In fact, this is the only place where people talk about this. There are so many articles that hype it before the launch, but not much afterwards (one or two reviews, one or two users complaining about this and this forum). And, of course, nothing official from Asus.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have never seen Asus every publicly admit a defect in any of their products and do a general recall or refit.

4. cp24

cp24 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

My tablet has the same issue.
    It might be less frequent with the latest wacom feel driver installed, but I am not even sure of that.

But the following actions seems to bring the pen back to almost every time:

* go to device manager
    * desactivate "Wacom Device"
    * restart windows
    * activate "Wacom Device"

Hope it might help and maybe even improved because it still sucks to have your all your applications closed due to the reboot.

Also, I am not sure if you can install the wacom device driver if the pen is not working, so keep in mind the actual device name for the pen is different if the wacom feel driver is not installed.

5. NK0d3R

NK0d3R Pen Pal - Newbie

Right, but I strongly believe that the actual defect rate is close to 40-50% for the first 2 months' batches. That's not exactly your usual 'oops' 5% defect rate.

Bronsky and Dave47 like this.
  6. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

In this case they can likely get away with it.

This unit runs faster than the DVP8, On a level with the Lenovo Mix 8" and at a similar price point. It runs cooler than either. Judging from the popularity of this model on YouTube gaming videos, they are likely to sell more units to gamers than to artists or business people using the Wacom pen.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's the reason we have a high failure rate here - the users on this site are mostly "inking veterans" who really use the tablet for note taking or artwork, while the average joe may not even know what that stick is for...

SAM 2013 likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Don't suppose you'd be up for trying a handbrake video encoding test?

when I ran proper benchmarks like PcMark7....my unit didn't really get warm either. it wasn't until I gave video encoding a go did the unit get very warm.

handbrake is a freeware video encoding platform
    HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

If you can download it, and try to encode a 300mb video file to the present "IPad" file output setting.

9. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

damn. Just happened to me, for about 30 seconds. It wouldn't recognize my Lifebook pen but when I tried the stock one it immediately recognized it.

Didn't overheat, but I did turn off sleep mode and it's been running nonstop for the past 6 hours.

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hopefully it was just a glitch,
    not the Self Destruct mode...
    as you did not have to restart/reload drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.