Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having the same pen problem with I2C error on my 64GB AVN8. I have been disabling and enabling the device in device manager or restarting the tablet to fix the problem. But yesterday, the pen stopped working again out of blue when I was using it. This time though, there was no device error in device manager so I had to do a cold shutdown to get it work. I also had the screen rotation fail to work a few times. The tablet is all patched with MS and Asus updates.

I had a 32GB model and did not have this problem. One thing I notice with my 64GB AVN8 is that it makes, though not all the time, a little rattling/clicking sound like something is loose inside the tablet when I grab it or picks it up. It sounds like it's coming from around where the camera is. It did not do this on my 32GB AVN8. Also, the pen accuracy on the edge is good most of the time but badly off sometimes. It's almost like a half inch off but it goes back to normal once you rotate the screen orientation (don't know if it has to with a defective digitizer).

So anyway, I decided to purchase another 64GB online. I will return mine to MS after I get the new one in as I have one more week before my return window closes. It's hustle. I wish there's MS store near me so I can just walk in for exchange. The MS support said I have to ship mine first to get a new one ship to me to as an exchange. I wished it was other way around. I don't think I can live without the tablet even for a few days even it's got the pen problem. I did not consider RMA especially after I read Stroh Mr Plow's post above (sorry to hear that but thanks for posting your experience). I really hope the next one works without the problem.

2. iadagraca

iadagraca Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm having the same issue, i'd hate to send mine back...

god i hope this is software...

3. iadagraca

i think i found a solution...

go into device manager, then under "human interface devices" look for the second "I2C hid device" (the first is likely touchscreen).

right click it and select properties, then power management and disable "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

i did this after the issues started returning very frequently, so far they seem gone...

here's hoping...

edit: nope came back right after posting this...

did seem to make the pen a bit more responsive tho....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  4. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

Had it happen to me twice, both times after a long night on sleep mode. Once on the old driver and once on the new. Both times I disable the device in device manager and re-enabled and it come right back. I think I'll just turn it off at night like a regular computer from now on.

Someone else had tried turning off power management earlier in the thread, page 1 or 2, without success also. But it's also reported earlier in the thread as a common problem among Windows 8 devices, so it could be a MS issue.

5. Zezrs

Zezrs Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed this as well, I think it's just the back plastic flexing. I can recreate it by applying pressure around the Asus logo. It's a little above and to the left of it. If I follow the top left corner of the A until it intersects with where the micro usb port is aligned and push down, it make a slight noise. I've had some other devices that creak a little bit so I don't think it's a big deal or cause for concern if anybody is worried about it.

6. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to know that! I was getting paranoid about everything since the pen started misbehaving:)

7. iadagraca

ugh this is the absolute worst time for this to happen.

So is this confirmed software or hardware issue?

8. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

It's more like a hardware problem to me. I thought there was someone who did a factory reset and still had the problem. If it's a software problem right off the factory image then you would think more people have the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. iadagraca

hmmm, thats a shame.

but maybe i'll check other tablets that have the same issue.

10. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I returned mine last week and this morning I've received an RMA update from the supplier confirming it was faulty, my replacement will arrive on Thursday. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
    Alex