Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

While I agree with the PITA assessment, I have my doubts that your first sentence is true. ;)

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't know from personal experience, but from stories around here it seems like often times if you bring it to the store they will just go and grab you a new one. I don't think they send you to the manufacturer.

My dealings with the RMA process have been a PITA, but I dunno, I just can't go back to a 10" device after this. And I'd rather have a PITA 8" device than none at all. With the VN8 it is an occasional big PITA with large stretches of tablet heaven in between. With anything else it is a smaller PITA which never goes away.

I cant pocket a 10" tablet. And I'm much more likely to leave a 10" tablet on my desk than carry it with me in my hand vs an 8" tablet.

Even simply holding a 10" tablet is not nearly as comfortable (at least to me). While sitting on my recliner with my 1.5 lb surface RT, 2 lb Surface pro sitting within arms reach I will pretty much never reach for them over my 0.8 lb VN8/V8P. I get no fatigue at all holding the 8" tablets. I can hold them resting on my chest/belly one handed with no effort. I can even hold it extended in the air like I would a smartphone for a fairly long time comfortably. The 10" tablets need to rest in my lap to be comfortable for extended periods. Perhaps, these things vary between different people, but, for me, holding an 8" tablet crosses a significant threshold in comfort which a 10" tablet doesn't.

The pen on the V8P just doesn't work well enough. I'll take the RMA musical chairs with excellent inking experience over a constant unsatisfactory pen. I've set up so many computers over the years that it only takes a couple hours of actual work to get it up and going again, and another couple hours of waiting for the updates to happen (during which time I can do something else), so I don't consider that to be a big deal. If I have to do that every couple months until they get things settled down, I can live with that.

But don't get me wrong. I'll jump ship in a minute if a quality/reliable 8"+Wacom+Windows device comes on the market. I don't like dealing with this. I just prefer it by a wide margin to the alternatives (or lack there of).

Kumabjorn and cheflo like this.
  3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This device has everyone mesmerized.
    Just think how many computers can have such failures
    and people still LOVE them.
    This thing is the best thing since sliced cheese.

There must be some psych going on here....now back to my
    newly repaired tablet

Dave47 likes this.
  4. cheflo

cheflo Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with what mesosphere said. This tablet has been so great that I even stopped following these forums for tweaks, I was just happily getting work done. Quite disappointed to come back and see how much this thread had grown. But this is the only tablet that does what I want, so I will put pu with its quirks... for now at least =)

5. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if the MS units have a higher failure rate. MS got this tablet before anyone else, probably first production runs.

In my own case, my first one was from MS and it had a digitizer failure. My second one is from Newegg, which started selling it much later, and it's been perfect now at ~1 month.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. Da ... dum!

7. iadagraca

iadagraca Pen Pal - Newbie

Got mines back after finally sending it, have the repairs been working for people here?

I also agree with what Mesosphere said :D

i had no problem getting it repaired but according to the paper they only needed to reinstall the software to fix it?

its been fine for a few days so i guess its a software issue?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  8. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

Heh, that's why I got the newegg 1 year replacement/repair policy for $60. It's 5 day turnaround or my $60 back. Only thing I worry about is them doing the old "reload Windows" temporary-fix garbage instead of actually fixing or replacing it.

9. fureien

fureien Pen Pal - Newbie

my pen is still working btw

and i fixed the brightness issue by reinstalling the SOC driver
    is the Graphics driver that comes with the SOC driver the latest?

Also there is a separate Wacom driver?i havent seen it on the asus website

Also, the only thing different here that i can see that ive been doing differently to everyone else is that i uninstalled the light sensor driver.

Windows update was prompting me to install it, and i had issues the day after i installed it

Uninstalling it probably caused my brightness issue, but may or may not have some impact to touch panel as well? i dunno

worth exploring if you run out of options and SOC driver will fix everything anyway as a contingency if you uninstall it

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Where do you find the light sensor driver?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk