Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This thread is slowing down. Does that mean less defective units are self-destructing?

Well, it appears that I will have to return this unit eventually, as it has developed a 2" line of pixels that have an appearance different than the rest of the display. They do not appear dead but rather translucent. So far, it's the width of one or two pixels so it is not a serious problem. It is, however, something that will require repair or replacement. Microsoft Complete Care just paid for itself.

What a shame too, since I absolutely love this form factor and feel that I have this tablet set up exactly as I want. Asus has a nearly perfect design but the execution has produced a real POS from a reliability standpoint. The odd thing is that I haven't experienced a digitizer failure that one-in-three have experienced yet have had two hardware failures.:rolleyes: I have to consider if I don't need a better built device. It's just that there isn't anything out there that I would prefer. Thinkpad would be perfect at 8.4" with Wacom. The TP10 and HP E1000 are too big. I don't think the Surface Mini is going to be for me either ... but I'm not sure why. I was not an Asus fan before I decided to buy the M80TA, which I have to admit is the top 8" tablet design on the market. I am even less of a fan now, given its terrible execution. Pegatron was much better than this in the past. I am glad I bought it in the Microsoft store and glad I bought complete care.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I really wish there was a better built option out there. But for me, 8" and Wacom is to good a combo to pass up. I'm wondering if I should keep the one I have in RMA so I can play musical chairs with them as they break and I send them in =P

3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Evveryone's tablet is in for repair

4. NK0d3R

NK0d3R Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just noticed something on mine: everytime I pick it up it after being idle for some time makes a metallic noise, close to a camera auto-focus, but I'm not sure the camera makes this noise, haven't notice it while taking pictures. I've saw this issue mentioned in one of the reviews on the site I bought it from, so I know I'm not the only one. Is it a common issue (or is it actually an issue) ? In other news: 6 days since first usage and no issues with the stylus.

5. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

Check out the post #45 on this thread. I had the clicking sound coming from around the rear camera on 2 units I bought from MS and it was pretty noticeable. My 3rd VN8 from Newegg makes the same sound although it's hardly noticeable. It could be that I am hearing what no ones hearing as I became pretty paranoid after having 2 bad units:(-

Anyway, I am not sure if it's a problem or can cause the digitizer problem later on. Not many people seem to report on this.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Seems that Meso has the answer - the "real" cost of the AVN8 is $659.90 (2x$329.95 at Amazon) so you always have a spare to carry you through the latest RMA repair trip to Asus...;)

SAM 2013 and chobo like this.
  7. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

After my brief scare...I'm back on the bandwagon. Call me an optimist...But without an alternative, I simply have to love this device. As long as it keeps working, it's the best thing since sliced sourdough..toasted...with lots of butter...maybe some strawberry jam...mmmmmmmmmm!:rolleyes::eek::thumbsup:

D, you are not going to sour me on this device!
    If I have to rebuild every 3 months, I'll do it. There just isn't anything else like it. :D

Update! --- aaaaaaaand spoke too soon...pen failed again. Suspiciously after Disabling and Enabling my InvenSense Collection.

I'm now in the Not working camp

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'd pay 659 for a reliable version of this. :)

fishdavis likes this.
  9. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

They seem to be linked somehow. In my case I saw the InvenSense failure too, just like the pen failures. I disabled the power management on the InvenSense collection and my pen worked perfectly for a week. Then my 30 days return period came up so I returned it to MS and bought one from a different place.

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, mine has been in repair for over 30 days now.
    They have been 'diagnosing' it, replacing parts,
    ready to return it to me & 'unforseen circustances'
    have popped up, to call back in 48 hours....

My unit must be the crash-test dummy,
    as it seems they have had it for longer than most others.

I hope they can figure out the problem & successfully
    repair it. I have caved in and ordered a unit from Walmart,
    supposed to be here by Wednesday, since my original unit is
    nowhere to be seen.
    (The local store is not stocking yet, you must order online)

So, am joining the buy 2, so 1 works,
    while the one is in for repair crowd.

Edit:
    However, according to Meso's statistics,
    we may have to buy 3 to have 1 working unit...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.