Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. nerdteddy

nerdteddy Scribbler - Standard Member

If you have to wait, a recovery time factor, it sounds like you have a malfunctioned I2C (serial interface port) controller chip, a hardware, not a software or driver issue. That's very unfortunate.

thierryb likes this.
  2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for your feedback, so my AVN8 will go back to Asus when I could have a second one to wait is come back. I can not spend a day with my AVN8.

3. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Rule of thumb when buying such a new device packed with features at a low price point : if you CAN wait for the second revision or second batch, do it.

It is very difficult to estimate that because first buyers are from enthusiasts type. They are also the first to use their device extensively and are most likely prone to report any encountered problems.

Perhaps one should make that a poll ?

4. thierryb

Exactly. I use it more than 12 hours by day, and some days more than 16, since now more than a month.
    I have less the pen issue than before I updated the drivers, even none concerned the pen.
    And yes, I have had one of the very first batch. I am glad that I have not a bigger issue with no workaround, because I would be obliged to send it back to Germany.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It seems to me that this is a hardware problem effecting a small number of people. Many people tend to join forums specifically to discuss a problem they are having, so reading a thread on a problem can give the impression that a problem is much more wide spread than it is. For example, of the people reporting this problem, it seems only theirryb didn't create an account specifically to discuss this problem. The main thread is probably a much less biased sampling particularly if you look only at the users with join dates predating the release of this device. Of that group, I think only theirryb is having this problem (at least so far). This group should be less biased because this group would likely be posting about the device whether it had this problem or not.

The fact that this does not appear to be affecting everyone (so far it seems only to be a rather small minority) leads me to agree with nerdteddy. I think this is probably a hardware issue associated with a small number of faulty units, and I'd recommend that those of you experiencing it exchange your devices. If it was a driver issue, it would be more widespread.

It probably is too soon to tell for sure though.

6. vinscuzzy

vinscuzzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you upload the firmware update so we can check it out?

7. diegodesimone

diegodesimone Pen Pal - Newbie

I would not be so quick to blame it on the hardware, especially considering that many of the users (me included) have earned back some degree of functionality after a full restore or a similare procedure.
    Meanwhile at this link: Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas seems that Wacom is working on a fix to the issue.
    Fingers crossed
    (BTW my VTN 8 comes from Germany and I am in Italy, so if it is indeed an hardware fault I am basically screwed)

8. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

I think what they're referring to there is the special wacom feel drivers giving 90 degree rotated input in all wintab applications, and that they're working on that.

The drivers that the note 8 uses when you get it, that people are experiencing these problems during, is not the feel it driver that this website refers to.

This is not to say this isn't a software problem, or that theyre not working on a fix, but just that this link is likely referring to something else.

Oh... thats a thought, has anyone tried the feel drivers instead of the asus pnes and had any good results?

9. thierryb

I tried both drivers, Microsoft and Wacom, and had the same pen issue.
    But since updating the other drivers, I have the issue less often, and sleep workaround works more often.

10. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine just returned from RMA. Working ok for now. Repair center didn't give any details about what have be done on the device, but if I had to guess, the digitizer has been replaced: stylus input feels different now, somewhat a little too sensitive, especially on the borders/corners.