Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, it's been working for the hour I've been setting it up at the very least. I'll have to wait a few weeks as well before making any judgement on the resolution of the issue though.

2. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Wow, a stylus that's big news. It looks like a new pen too. It still has the blue tip (I think, It is fuzzy), but it definitely isn't a surface pro pen.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Makes you wonder (or is that wish) they are holding it back for a premier release of the touch version of Office - everyone who has owned an 8" tablet has bemoaned how lame Office 2013 is on such a tiny screen - what if we were to get Office for iPad on steroids, with WACOM goodness - I think I'm about to faint....

5. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

My VTN8 came back last Monday. The pen is still working, after they replaced an undefined "circuit" inside the unit...

My pen actually stopped once, after I placed the tablet between my pants and my back (I needed my hands and did not have any place to put the device). When it turned back from sleep, the pen stopped working, the driver signaled the issue. I disabled and re-enabled the driver, and everything worked since then.

One thing I have noticed is that when you hold the device with two hands on its hedges and try to "twist" it a bit (slowly and carefully, I mean, without breaking it apart), I can see ghost touches on my screen. The impression I have is that everything must be really crammed inside the unit, and there might be components inside that are affected by other components' heat or closeness... this would explain also the random stopping of the pen, or the fact that sometimes it restarts after certain events, and sometimes it doesn't...
    Anyways, I hope my pen is here to stay...

6. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

re-posted... sorry

7. vitavirgl

vitavirgl Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I just bought my new AVN and having a problem since first start - touch is not working. Pen is working good. Device manager says Error 10 at device I2C HID. Disabling/enabling it, reinstalling it, tried Asus drivers, Windows drivers, Windows recovery done, nothing of those helped me... any ideas? :(

8. Mesosphere

I would return it now and get a new one. It the rate of hardware faults is high, so if your like me and not willing to go with a larger Wacom tablet, you just need to exchange until you get a good one. Annoying for sure, but at least for me it is better than the alternative. Unless you are extremely unlucky, I don't think you would have to do this more than once.

9. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

Did somebody call me? l am on my 2nd day with my 3rd VN8:eek: The pen is still working:)

I agree. If your pen fail with l2CHID, you want to return/exchange your tablet while you can. The problem will aggravate and the pen will stop working completely eventually.

10. Mesosphere

Well probably at least hundreds of thousands of people have bought this, so it had to happen to someone =P

If the failure rate is 20% (complete guess, but that would be a very high rate), then 1 out of 5 people will get a faulty device on their first try, 1/25 on second, 1/125 on third... So if 100,000 people bought it that is 20k, 4k, and 800 people effected. So it will happen to some people. I hope I don't have to be one of the 4k with you =P