Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

1. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

This morning I tried uninstalling the driver and then rebooting - the pen input worked again on restart, there was no visible activity/dialogue relating to the reinstallation of the driver. I'll hold off the RMA and see if a driver/firmware update can resolve this.

Cheers,
    Alex

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Woke the tablet up from sleep and pen input not working. Device Manager reports error code 43 (the device failed the SET_POWER command) again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. alexb2611

RMA in progress with the retailer now. Let's hope this is a hardware or firmware issue that affected the early batch(es) and is being resolved.

Cheers,
    Alex

3. alexb2611

Just a thought, in the I2C HID device's Power Management tab in Device Manager I've unchecked the box that allows the computer to turn the device off to save power. Don't know whether this will prevent the problem or affect battery life, but will test and report back.

Cheers,
    Alex

EDIT: Nope, made no difference; woke tablet from sleep and pen not working.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried too.
    It did not solved the issue and did not allow connected standby

Did you try my tips?

5. thierryb

I do not remember the error code.
    I will tell you if it happens again.

6. alexb2611

Hi thierryb,

To be honest, no I didn't. Perhaps it's an unrealistic expectation, but I don't want to be scrambling to reboot my tablet every time it stops doing something it is supposed to be able to do ;)

While waiting for it to be returned, last night I refreshed to stock and didn't apply any updates, to see if the problem was being caused by a recent update conflicting somehow. The pen input stopped working while I was using it, about 5 minutes after finishing the system refresh.

Cheers,
    Alex

7. thierryb

I have experienced this too. After a complete reinstallation of my M80TA, wipping everything, the pen was not working at "first start".

The problem could happen at any time. This is why I think it is not an hardware issue, but a driver or software or memory one. But you could be right too.
    The AVN8 64 is no more available from my reseller, so I prefer to keep mine and wait it will be more available, and probably available in France to return it to Asus directly. I will probably buy a second one, which will let me wait for the repair of the first one.

I got the issue this morning after 3 days without having it. I had it very strangely. I decided to reboot my AVN8 because one of the speaker stopped to work. Again a driver or memory issue. After the start, the pen worked during 5 seconds, and stopped to work. I tried the sleep method. No success. So I did a cold shutdown, waited 30 secs, and cold restart. And the pen is again here, since two hours now.

This tablet, or my tablet, has either hardware issues or driver issues. Why I use the plural ? because sometimes it is the pen, sometimes it is the speakers, sometimes it is the Invesense orientation sensor, which stops to work. For the speaker or the orientation sensor, a standard reboot (charm bar) is enough. But very rarely for the pen, which needs a cold shutdown/30sec wait/start.

But whatever the issues, I love it. I can even imagine to have two in my bag.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. alexb2611

I agree it's probably a driver issue, but I just want the product to work as advertised ;)

I did also have one problem with the screen orientation, but there was a Windows Update that fixed that (I think, it may have been from Asus Live Update).

So I'll be returning mine for a replacement, quite aware that current stock levels mean I may not receive a replacement for a little while. Perhaps that will give time for the bugs to be ironed out.

Good luck with yours :)

Cheers,
    Alex

9. gmacc8

gmacc8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had success by doing a full shutdown in Windows. For me, the pen did not work out of the box and there was a band in Device Manager on the second HID I2C Device.

To do a full shutdown (not a restart and not going to power and choosing shutdown) open the command prompt and type, "shutdown /s /t 0"

10. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive ordered mine the day before this thread started, thinking "yaay its all good" then theres this whole thread of people with the same crippling problem.

This kinda worries me, how common is this problem?

Has anyone been using theirs a lot for a while and still hasn't had it happen?