Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

This is fun. I just received my VTN8 (1/2014 one of the very first units sold in Europe) back for after it went for repair.

On the paper they replaced a not better defined "piastrino" which doesn't have any meaning in Italian language, but I guess it means a sort of "circuit" or the green plastic sheet on which one finds the circuits and elements of a circuit...
    While on RMA, I followed up and they told me that they were waiting for replacement parts and for the "stylus" to arrive (although I sent the unit complete with stylus).

Anyways, now my Note 8 pen works... well, it has been four hours so far...

Anyone had a similar experience? Would this mean that some units had "faulty" hardware, or at least a hardware that failed soon after first use of the machine? ...or - as it boils down to - how many times will I send it back for RMA? ;o)

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My digitizer did not start a cting up until after 30 days from purchase.
    At 42 days it degraded so much that I sent in my unit.

It has been almost 2 weeks since I sent it back.
    Hoping they are ordering & replacing parts, not
    just reloading as some have experienced.

If it is bad boards/parts, then the new parts should solve the problem.
    I miss my Asus for note taking/sketching, at least my Surface Pro is
    getting some use now.

3. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

I an just curious to know if anybody with the pen problem is using a custom pen calibration parameters set with tabcal.exe (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2171198) or with a tool like PenAdjustHelper_src.1.3. I do use the tool to calibrate the pen for better accuracy.

My pen was dead for last 2 days no matter what I tried (I did not do the system refresh or restore this time because I already did that once in the past and the pen still failed afterward). Anyway, today I was able to revive the pen by deleting the pen calibration parameters in registry and then uninstall/reinstall I2CHID device plus cold reboot. I am now using the tablet with the default pen settings just to see how it goes.

It still seems to me like a hardware problem but we are not really sure. I am just trying to figure out what, if not hardware, could cause the intermittent pen problem.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

4. CharlieP

CharlieP Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmm, I wonder if the calibration settings don't like encrypted disks.

My pen is still working after a complete restore and reinstall without BitLocker... So far... fingers crossed... Touch wood...

5. maki

maki Pen Pal - Newbie

I've reported earlier a problems with touch input stopping working. It was happening every 5-10 mins of intensive work in one note desktop or sketchup pro. Then I've turned off BitLocker thing, and I'm working in OneNote like 4 hours straight without a problem. That would be strange if encrypting would be a cause.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

6. CharlieP

CharlieP Pen Pal - Newbie

More food for thought!

Just had a windows update and the pen stopped working! with the I2C HID device stopped. Tried restarting - no effect. Tried switching off and on - No Effect.

Looked in the update history and spotted KB2939087 had failed, so I manually installed it, needed a restart - Hey Presto the pen is back!

Something really odd going on here, particularly as I can't find details on what the update does! (the kb search goes to the wrong page :( )

Oh well, the plot thickens!

...c

7. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is a small sample size, (as of today there are 10) but none of the AVN8 reviews on Amazon complain of pen issues. All give the device lots of stars.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It could be too early for pen issues. I have been purposely keeping the driver updates and the like to a bare minimum. I don't install any unnecessary updates. I'm waiting to see if my pen konks out after 30 or 40 days. I'm a couple of weeks into my new unit and still not a glitch with the pen.:) Hopefully, it stays that way.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I suspect this isn't a guaranteed eventual failure (despite being one of the victims). I think it is probably a relatively high rate of failure compared to the norm, but it is nearly impossible to tell with the data we have.

My Surface Pro has been getting more use than it has in months, but the ASUS is a much better experience for most of the work I do on it and pretty much all of the play. I'm really missing it.

I really wish we had a high quality 8" windows+wacom product, but beggars can't be choosers. There are simply no other options if the 8" size is as preferable over 10" as it is in my use case. I'd be willing to pay Surface Pro or Q584 prices for a quality 8" device. I don't expect I'd have to, but I'd be willing to. I really feel it is that much better in my use case. Cheap has nothing to do with it for me.

I've even taken to wearing cargo pants to make toting the device around with me even more convenient than it already was =P

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Bronsky and Dave47 like this.
  10. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

What's interesting to me is after several months of reports of pen problems here, I'm still reading things like "it's hardware" no "it's software" "I tried this and it worked" "I tried the same and it didn't work" , etc etc.

You would **think** ASUS is aware of this and is working on a solution to unleash to owners soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.