Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trenzterra

trenzterra Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep I saw your link. I can't seem to get the casing off though and I was afraid it would void my warranty!

2. Griyitzu

Griyitzu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I have been using Vivotab Note 8 (M80TA model) for 6 month - my main mobile work tool. The pen failed two weeks ago for the second time.

I did both driver disable/enable uninstall/reinstall, and factory reset - nothing worked.
    In fact I was just arranging a replacement with the vendor just now and got the thing to work!

Amazingly I followed youtube instructions, the guy said disable the driver, tap the back of the machine with your finger - around or near the camera - and it worked!!!!!! The pen has come back to life.

Unfortunately this tells me that there is probably some physical design fault contributing to the problem - some connector or ribbon is failing - maybe coming loose as a result of setting the tab down or carrying it around in a bag or something of the sort, maybe even a ribbon bent at the factory waiting to fail - not sure.

Anyway - Hope this help.

Mine is still going back to ASUS - I would rather have my money back than have a faulty machine.

Cheers

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

See the stickied DIY fix thread (also linked in my Sig). The origin of the problem is now well understood, and it is easy to fix yourself.

michaelws likes this.
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, and I did it, and no issue since I did it.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, and I did it, and no issue since I did it.

6. Camubra

Camubra Pen Pal - Newbie

I had problems with the digital display and digital pencil. Technical Support Asus indicated to me reboot the initial condition of manufactures. That worked for a few hours but the problem continued. Since I need the equipment daily, I resisted returning equipment for service. Research on the network and is presented as a solution, replacing any internal cable corresponding to the digitizer. It's hard to try to repair new equipment yourself. But I take chances to open the tablet and just adjust the terminals of the two ribbon cables that are on both sides of the battery and closed the tablet again and it worked properly. This I did four weeks ago, work daily whith it and surprise even still works perfectly. Asus seems to have reliability problems in the manufacture of its equipment. They are good teams but it is very likely that several users are victims of assholes manufacturing defects.

7. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Wow! No posts in this topic in two months! Allow me. I bought my AVTN8 in early June 2014 and in July I sent it in because the digitizer stopped working. Things were gon week until last week and boom! The pen stopped working. Thankfully I'm still within a year of purchase, but I'm surprised I'm sending it back ( RMA today) for the ribbon to be replaced. I thought I could keep this thing for at least another year. Maybe I'll have to sell it and get an Encore 2 Write.

8. JFahrni

JFahrni Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally gave up on mine. I use it from day to day to play games or surf the web, but no longer use it to take notes. The Encore 2 Write does look interesting.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The lack of posts is probably because we know the cause and how to fix it now.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asu...us-vivotab-note-8-pen-failure.html#post410002

... well that and it is pretty hard to find a new one nowadays =)

10. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Meso,

Seeing how the last two posters were looking for some assistance and advice, I modified the first post with a link to the fix thread.

HeavyHanded and Mesosphere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.