Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I just straightened out the existing one. I don't expect the new cables until next week.

2. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

K thanks...

3. chrismariusb

chrismariusb Pen Pal - Newbie

I definitely wouldn't call myself a techie. That's the only way I know of to access the BIOS.

4. chrismariusb

chrismariusb Pen Pal - Newbie

I mean, hold the Volume Down and power button during start up.

5. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks chris

6. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

So, Ebuyer (the UK retailer I bought it from) is collecting mine today, the RMA was raised on Friday. If the first unit's experience is anything to go by, I'll get another replacement under the 12 month warranty. Apart from the hassle of sending it back, getting a new tablet every 5 months is quite nice ;)

Cheers,
    Alex

HeavyHanded likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Just to update people who are not following the cable replacement thread (already posted this in owners lounge)...

I've received the new cables. The cables for the touch sensor were not compatible, but the pen digitizer cables were. I've ordered a second set of touch cables which I believe will be compatible.

The good news though is that the third party cables for the pen digitizer worked (and I'm confident now that the touch ones will as well once I get the right ones). So, assuming that the cables are at fault for the pen/touch failures, this problem can quite easily be user repaired for a cost of $3.90 for the cable plus ~$2.50 shipping.

All the evidence both in terms of the results of RMA repair reports and fiddling by myself and some other users points to these cables being the culprits for the pen failures. At this point, I think we are likely at "problem solved".

The one lingering possibility is the cables are not to blame for the failures, but that looks really unlikely at this point (at least to me).

Details: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asu...us-vivotab-note-8-pen-failure.html#post410002

spinedoc77 and alexb2611 like this.
  8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very nice!

9. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great news Meso. Ebuyer confirmed receipt of my unit, apparently for returns more than 28 days after purchase they can opt to send the item back to the manufacturer for repair, so I may end up getting the official cable replacement anyway, but nevertheless it's good to know we can sort it ourselves if need be.

Cheers,
    Alex

10. Mesosphere

Yea, if for no other reason than the warranties will end eventually. With the direction windows threshold looks to be taking and the rarity of devices like this one (this is the only one), it is not impossible that this will be our only option for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.