VivoTab Note 8 pen latency (works, but works weird)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by chir, Sep 28, 2015.

1. chir

chir Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: The problem got fixed after applying some 3 cumulative Windows updates. No idea how/why exactly, sorry.

After upgrading to Windows 10 and some faffing about to get rid of the notorious BSOD-on-pen-touch issue, I finally got the tablet stable, and it actually seems smoother/higher framerate in menus versus Win8.1. However, upon trying any art program, the problems became apparent.

When I first press the stylus against the screen without moving it (let's call this point A), it doesn't register pressure. When I move the stylus, it will travel a short distance without drawing anything, then at point B, the pressure kicks in, and the stylus draws a line from nearly point A to point B, mostly with nearly maximum pressure. Trying to draw long lines in short strokes creates a beeline now instead of a contiguous line, drawing strands of hair is impossible with the dysfunctional pressure sensitivity, and drawing curves/circles is literally impossible.

Here's an example of trying to draw circles, without pressure sensitivity enabled.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, every circle starts with a straight section. It's even worse with pressure sensitivity. Drawing longish hair with long strokes is tolerable, but drawing short, fuzzy fur is intolerable and completely broken, because the pen will hardly register any lines drawn due to their shortness. Not that I'd draw a lot of dots, but those are entirely impossible because the pen/screen doesn't register pokes as contact at all while drawing. I've tried several programs, with same results.

Solutions?
    I cannot revert back to Win8.1. I reset the tablet and that wiped the old.Windows folder due to the BSOD issues, that seem to still plague Win10 too.

This is pretty frustrating as I've got clients waiting for some doodles, and I'm pulling my hair out with this thing. I could not imagine re-drawing my avatar's drawing with this functionality

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Which driver and Windows build are you using?

I'm on Preview 10547 with Wacom's 7.3 driver, this is what it looks like in OneNote:

[​IMG]

I haven't tried Fresh Paint though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  3. chir

chir Pen Pal - Newbie

Build 10240
    Wacom Feel driver ver. 7.3.1-7 (newest from wacom's page).

next day edit:

The pen started working just fine after some 3 cumulative Windows updates and resets, without further intervention from me. Confusing, but I'll take it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015