Vivotab Note 8, miracast

Discussion in 'Asus' started by solitaire01, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Netgear too. Problem with Asus BTW :( the resolution on my Tv ins't the best and if I use only second screen with a mouse, the mouse lags.

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking forward to some optimizations on performance.

3. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

Any comments on network performance (if any applies) while Miracast is connected?

Edit: never mind! Steve Paine at UMPC Portal answered my question a few days back. (love that guy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlLCpqVVR4

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  4. ananimus

Also, re: performance, found this guy while shopping: Amazon.com: ASUS Mira Cast Wireless Display Dongle (90XB01F0-BEX000): Computers & Accessories

By Asus and due for release in two days. It's a bit spendy, but compact and sports dual band wifi. If you'd believe their promo, latency is short enough for gaming. Yeah, we'll see. :rolleyes:

I'd really like to see a compact, battery-powered unit with maybe 3 hours battery life. Something for meetings on the road, y'know? It'd feel pretty slick snapping in a dongle, then strolling away with the tablet to begin a presentation. :D

HJK likes this.
  5. lightrefracted

lightrefracted Pen Pal - Newbie

6. vinscuzzy

vinscuzzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Had a ptv3000 for about a week, worked pretty good, didn't have any problems connecting and the quality was fine. It sometimes would randomly just disconnect. And if my tablet would go to sleep it would always disconnect. Frys had the actiontec on sale this week, so I exchanged the pvt3000. I've had a better experience so far with the actiontec. Seems to maintain the connection a bit better, there's a windows 8 app that makes updating firmware a breeze. If my tablet goes to sleep the connection gets dropped, but hitting the power button always reestablishes the connection. Also it came with a usb dongle for computers that don't have miracast. Here's the problem I had with both units. If I try to watch a movie without the charger connected, my AVN8 ALWAYS crashes to a black screen, and goes into some weird state where the only thing I can do is hold down the power button and reset.I changed the sleep time to never, and it still happens. Anyone else have this issue?

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder if the Netgear is disconnecting because of heat issues, I notice its a sealed box while the actiontec has vents on the bottom and with how hot they get could be some thermal protection kicking in. I'm just waiting to see what the MS adapter looks like before deciding, in case they manage to get it right.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

8. vinscuzzy

vinscuzzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, but the actiontec does it too, so I'm not sure its an overheating thing.......

9. ananimus

I've seen notes on many forums/reviews to be sure you have true 1 A power going to whatever dongle. The USB ports on most TVs are only 0.5 A (like a computer) at which point the receiver will connect, but intermittently disconnects under load. So might be as simple as plugging into a 1 A wall adapter (phone charger).

10. ananimus

I'm playing with the idea of getting a compact 1 A, USB battery pack to strap to a miracast dongle. Maybe velcro'd on with a shorty 2" USB cable. Depending on the power draw, you'd have a self-contained, wireless adapter for meetings. :D

HEY VENDORS, steal this idea and just make a cheapo adapter with a built-in battery. Light-weight and just good enough for PowerPoint, plzkthx!

HJK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.