Vivotab Note 8 - Install from USB - problems

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sudermatt, Mar 6, 2014.

1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait,
    Untitled.jpg
    Why this shows it supports x64? And here also states that Z3740 supports x64. Or it is the restriction of the UEFI/BIOS, not the CPU? I can see my USB stick in UEFI/BIOS boot sequence or boot override, but if I touch on my USB drive entry in boot override, it simply flashed once then nothing happen. Yes, my USB drive has a 64bit WinPE on it. But the CPU shouldn't be the reason why it cannot boot from it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yes the CPU is x64 Capable but my understanding is the SoC is not....

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Conrad Hart

Conrad Hart Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm assuming the OP used a microUSB OTG to boot frrom a USB drive.

Is there any way to enter the BIOS on boot? Or is there any way to boot from a microSD card on boot? Is there a button combination to hold for either of these?

EDIT: Okay, so nevermind. Recovery is POWER + VOLUME DOWN. The 32GB doesn't have the recovery partition, so it gives you more options and you can eventually get into the BIOS.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  4. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a 64GB version yesterday and I am unsuccessful in entering the BIOS. I have tried Power+Volume Down and Power+Volume Up. Which is the correct combination of keys to press?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

5. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

I got to the BIOS (disabling encryption first) holding the shift key when restarting, selecting troubleshoot, advanced, boot into UEFI firmware settings. Disabled secure boot, couldn't boot from USB, changed from XHCI to EHCI, still no boot, redid my USB stick, still nothing, went back to XHCI but the debug option was left enabled and finally I could boot and install Enterprise 32 bit.

6. streamcap

streamcap Pen Pal - Newbie

This is late to the party, but anyway... I have a serious issue with my 32GB 'Tab, the Win10 install failed halfway through and now it is stuck in a reboot cycle. I have fastboot enabled, so even if I connect a keyboard using the UTG adapter the tab doesn't seem to listen to it until it's too late.

Was there a way to get into BIOS or UEFI or whatever using just the buttons on the side?

7. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think so. Only a USB keyboard worked for me.