Vivotab Note 8 - from Win 10 to 8.1: any easy way?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Azzart, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

As the title says: is there any easy way to get back to windows 8.1 that doesn't imply black magic? (you know, I'm a bit rusty in there...)

I bought a week ago a used 32gb Vivotab Note. It's great, I love how lightwheight it isand everything seems to work just fine. But I would really love to get back to windows 8.1, since Edge is a piece of crap. I can live with it on the Surface Pro 3 but IE metro is so much better for this kind of device...

I created a usb key bootable win8.1 but no luck so far.
    If I try from windows 10 the setup stop at the beginning saying there some kind of problem (hardware?)
    If Intry to reboot from uefi I get to the first screen of the setup process where windwos asks me the language I want to use but I get stuck because it doesn't accept any input: I tried using a powered usb hub attached to the otg cable but it doesn't see it, not even in windows!
    I have the recovery micro sd that comes with the tablet but for what I understand is unusable with win10.

Any other Idea?

2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you using the right version of Windows 8.1? You need 32-bit.

And you can boot the SD card, just connect it to an SD Card reader then to an OTG cable. Or create a UEFI bootable stick from the card with Rufus.

Also the revert to 8.1 option should be in Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery.

Azzart likes this.
  3. Azzart

Yes, it's Windows 8.1 32bit. My idea was to install that generic iso coming from the microsoft website and then use the recovery from asus to get it installed again with whatever asus put in it.

I don't have an external sd card reader and prefer not to order yet another peripheral (my relationship with amazon is starting to feel too tight recently! :D ), so might as well see if I can get anywhere with rufus.

Sadly, it is too late for the windows 8.1 revert option.

4. HdNote8

HdNote8 creative technical writing

Azzart likes this.
  5. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

You can't use the stock ISO. There's no drivers for the I2C controllers in which the touch panel is connected to, hence you have no input. Alternatively you can create your own WinPE install image but I don't think you want to go that route. Or use a USB keyboard/mouse.

Try Rufus and use the SD card as the source to make it UEFI bootable.

6. Azzart

No luck with Rufus and the original sd card: since it doesn't contain an iso file it's no use, at least with my basic knowledge (on a side note, it's cuious: it contains a some gigabytes folder named Sources which appear ompletely empty for the operating system, be it win 10 or 8.1.never experienced before).
    I would just like to understand why it doesn't accept a powered usb hub for keyboard/mouse input.

I consider myself defeated and will just live with Windows 10, which isn't bad at all if not for Edge who is crappy and can't even handle Facebook posts properly.
    Going to install Chrome and be gone with it.

7. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Win 10 has Internet Explorer 11 built in if you want it. Although it says 'Desktop App', it still accesses the OSK when you need it.

Terry

8. Azzart

yeah, sadly though the desktop version is still in the same league as Edge: no touch gestures for back and forward, which should be the bare minimum for a tablet browser.
    so this leaves only chrome as an acceptable option.

9. germanib

germanib Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

I have the device with 64Gb so it has a recovery partition on the hard drive. I reverted from win10 to win 8.1 and it was easier than I thought. I used the restore to factory condition option that is under windows update and recovery. Windows automatically restored everything from the recovery partition.
    Maybe the system is smart enough to ask you for the sd card if use the same option.

10. Azzart

Finally!
    I've been able to revert it to win 8.1 thanks to a non powered usb hub I was lent. :)
    Great, 8.1 is so much better for this device, moreso since I use it mainly internet...

Sadly, I'm having problems with the touch controller.
    Every time I wake the machine from sleep the touch doesn't work anymore (pen still works).
    I find it difficult to believe it's an internal cable problem because a restart of windows make it back to work as usual (I don't move it, don't press anywhere on the chassis, it just stays on it's stand while restarting), so it looks more like a software issue than a hardware one.
    Already installed drivers from Asus site and at least 900gb of Windows update and no change.
    Any hints?