Vivotab Note 8 - Buy now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Fret44, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fret44

Fret44 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been thinking about getting a tablet for a while, and I'm basically sold on the Vivotab Note 8. It gives me everything I want, including the option to run real desktop programs in a pinch. Honestly, if I hadn't stumbled across this board, I would have purchased it by now. But you guys have me completely spooked with this stylus business. I'm not desperate to have this tablet. I can put it off a month or two. Is that something I should consider? Maybe by then the issue will be fixed. On the other hand, I've already decided to make this purchase, and it'd be nice to have it. All of you have more experience with this tablet than me, so I want to know what you think. Should I get it now, or wait?

2. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

If this price point is your maximum for an eight inch Wacom device, I would buy now.
    If you can see yourself going forty or sixty dollars more, wait and see if a Surface Mini hits the market by the end of the month or early June.

squib likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would normally say just buy it, since the Surface Mini aside, its unlikely we'll see any more 8 inch tablets with Wacom announced anytime soon. (Why have you forsaken us Samsung!)

The use of Full Windows 8.1 or RT will however make or break the Surface Mini. I would definitely recommend waiting the 10 days to see what Microsoft has up its sleeve, but if it ends up running Windows RT, I'd buy the Asus Note 8 right away.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Great advice.

@Fret44 - Take a look at the Surface Mini and if it doesn't fit your needs, I Would take the M80TA over the TP2. Bay Trail is the first real serviceable Atom with sufficient power to run most legacy programs without choking.

To be sure, the AVN8 has it's QC/QC problems. My display is having issues and I will soon be returning my second unit for hardware issues. Still, I don't see any tablet that has the features I want in this near ideal size and weight, other than the Asus. The good news is that I've had two units without pen issues. I'm 4 days away from 2 months of ownership. I recommend MS Complete if you buy the AVN8.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You should be aware though that the qualitiy control problems are so severe that they are now refered to as QC/QC problems.

Bronsky and Rodney like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what its worth, my Vivotab Note 8 was one of the First to hit stores back in February, and I've had no quality issues or Digitizer Failures at all. There were some pen unresponsiveness issues at first, but they were resolved with the firmware update a few months back.

Guess mine was the lucky batch.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I meant QA/QC. But QC/QC works too.:D

Oddly enough, I've returned one unit with an overheating CPU and will be returning this one because of dying pixels. No pen problems.:rolleyes:

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

If you can get a bug free AVN8, I would say the tablet is worth every cents you throw in.

But at this time, as many of us already suggested, you might just hold yourself for less than ten more days for the Microsoft possible release at the 20/may. If they come up with a baytrail version surface mini with wacom pen, you would have a possibly better alternative at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

Two months is a long time.... Hmmm.... Waiting could be very wise if a newer product is coming out with a digitizer. Unfortunately, I dont keep up with whats new, lol.
    I would definitely consider, because waiting usually helps. Until it doesnt help like a price increase on the same product.

Im extremely happy, and im in the minority (it seems). I just like watching this forum to see if there is any VTN8 news, tips and tricks from tablet users, and what is awesome for it. My tablet works fine compared to others (here) since I have bought it. At first I just bought the tablet thinking i would be fine just the way it was. If I was to order it all over again, I would order a case at the same time and another wacom penabled pen with it. So I wouldnt have to wait to have all the accessories for another month.

So in other words, get it now.

- U

10. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

I still say it's a design flaw that's the culprit, and so long as the tablet doesn't overheat or get squeezed it'll be fine.

If the Vivotab Note 8 were a human being it would be a senior citizen with a bad hip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.