VivoTab Note 8 broken - Stuck on BSOD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by hlov, May 5, 2015.

1. hlov

hlov Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    My tablet is broken, stuck on the BSOD and the screen doesn't respond. The tablet was crashing when playing videos, it was showing like ghost images, then it simply crashed at all the time so I decided to do a hard reset and after that I'm stuck on the blue screen. Warranty expired 2 months ago, Asus repair quote is the same as buying a new one :(
    Does anybody have experienced similar issue so it might be a common thing and at least Asus will be able to fix it even if is not under warranty.
    Cheers
    H

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

I changed your thread title to add more info to attract more visitors who might have info for you.

It seems that a component failed. Would happen to know what code the BSOD reports?
    The code might give an indication of which subsystem failed. And if so, then you might need to replace the mainboard.

3. hlov

hlov Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks mate, it's something like watch dog violation. Asus technical people told me that about the whole mainboard replace which will cost more than getting a new one :(

4. dombeef

dombeef Pen Pal - Newbie

Not so sure that fully indicates a component failed, could have just been the OS has gotten corrupted.

What error pops up with the BSOD? Have you tried reinstalling or accessing the BIOS with an external keyboard?

5. hlov

hlov Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    Yes. I was able to access the BIOS, in there everything works even the touch screen. The error that I got is "watch dog violation" and the screen doesn't work, I have to plug a mouse to be able to tap on the OK or wait till the battery goes flat.
    H

6. dombeef

dombeef Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats odd, I usually am able to use the touchscreen while in the BIOS, but anyways, that sounds like a faulty wifi driver(watchdog also suggests a older firmware ssd software, but thats most likely not the case here :) )

All you gotta do is go into safemode when you boot, to do this I believe you have to mash the F4 key with an external keyboard(no bluetooth), then navigate to boot safemode(with no networking)

Good luck! If that doesnt work, you may want to start fresh with a clean install of windows(luckily you dont have to remember the serial code for windows, its already in your BIOS chip

7. hlov

hlov Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    thanks for that. I have done that before. Boot from the recovery partition and tried to reinstall windows with no luck, when the process finishes I got the BSOD, my guess is that either the hard drive or the memory are faulty :(