Vivotab Note 8 bricked after clean install of Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Discussion in 'Asus' started by testplayer, Nov 12, 2014.

1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

It took me a lot of time to clean install.

I first try to boot from a USB drive through the OTG cable, but it just failed because I've no keyboard and there is no touch and pen support in the Windows setup.

Then I tried to boot to the OEM windows 8.1 and install from USB drive through OTG cable, but windows setup prompts that the computer is on battery so that I cannot install.

Finally I move the contents of Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO to an SD card and install from it. It was successful initially, but after it reboots, it gets stuck in the start screen. No touch or pen support at all. Keyboard and mouse also didn't work through OTC cable. I couldn't even re-enter the BIOS by volume or rotation keys.

Any helps? Or should I get an RMA? Is it possible to flash the whole thing by myself?

Updates: I deployed an unattend.xml to the windows 8.1 enterprise ISO, which set Administrator as the default autologon account. That could be the reason, but now the problem is how to escape from bricking.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. testplayer

Half year later, with an OTG charging cable, I was able to clean install windows 8.1 enterprise with update 3 on my "bricked" unit, but then I found that it was not bricked, it is just that the touch screen and digitizer don't work at all after clean install. Probably a driver problem, because now, by using the OTG cable with 4 usb ports, I can still use usb mouse and keyboard to look up the device manager and see a lot of yellow marks. This must be a driver issue, but I just couldn't find the touch screen driver.

Any helps?

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Try to install the chipset drivers from the ASUS support site. The Baytrail chipsets are notorious for having zilch driver support on stock Windows 8.1. This will allow the OS to see the internal devices properly.

After that, install the wireless drivers and Wacom drivers. Then run a Windows update. Reboot, and fill in any other drivers as necessary from the ASUS site.

Hopefully Windows 10 will resolve these issues, but so far the beta builds are faring no better...

testplayer likes this.
  4. testplayer

Wow, that saves my life, well, my note 8's life. REALLY appreciate it! Now I would like to integrate all drivers to the windows install image and then deploy it again.
    Any ideas/comments about whether I should upgrade to the latest BIOS 211? What problem does it resolve or supposed to resolve?

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha, no problem! I spend way too much time tinkering with ASUS' Wacom tablets (ie. EP121/M80TA), so I'm glad my knowledge can be of assistance to others.

I updated my BIOS to 210 on my first unit, and shortly after experienced the dreaded sleep-of-death issue. The update may not have actually caused it, but my second unit has been running fine without updating.

Now BIOS 211 may have actually resolved the sleep quirks on this device, as it looks like a revision to the EC (Embedded Contoller), which controls power and battery (among many other things). But I have no experience, so I can't advise on that version.

If you do update, tell me how it goes and I might hop on the bandwagon ;)

6. xeean

xeean Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey testplayer,

I bricked my device. It's in an endless loop between Asus Logo and a Bluescreen which says "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" :(.
    I installed WIndows 10 on the device via update and wanted to have a clean installation. Therefore I resetted the device. And now I am stuck witch blueescreen. Such a mess.

[​IMG]

How did you manage to get into BIOS without external keyboard? Is there a button combination to press?
    And do you think it is possible to start the recovery from recovery-sd card from BIOS once I in there?

Which Usb Port Adapter would you suggest if I have to install a clean Windows?
    And will it somehow recognize my OEM product key? Or did you buy a new licence?

Thanks in advance!

xeean

7. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Xeean,

i had the same Problem.

you can access the bios by pressing the PowerButton and than quick the Power Button and the Volumen Down Button at the same time. It is a littel bit trick. you can use the touch screen in Bios.

2.You need to change -> Advanced USB Configuration -> USB Controller Select to EHCI ( If you are stuck in the option just click on ESC/Right Click:Exit on the screen ;) ) the change Boot-> Fast Boot -> Disabled.

3. Download the MediaCreationToll to Download a Win 10(32 bit) image and prepare a usb stick to Install. (it is super easy)

4. You need a USB-OTG cabel, usb Hub (i used a Dell Monitor with usb port to do this). Usb Keybord, Usb Mouse (Because Microsoft was super smart and forgott to support touchscreens in the Windows intalltion setup lol). So boot your prepared usb Win 10 boot stick (it is possible that you need to access the bios again an change the Boot option from Windows Boot Manager to you USB stick). an Install Win 10 to your note 8.

(all super easy i just spend 4-5 hours to do this littel stunt :) )

5. Get ready that your GSP (Gnss) chip will not work under win 10

Ps. Du bist offensicht der deutschen Sprache mächtig. also falls du was nicht verstanden haben solltest, einfach mich anschreiben.

xeean likes this.
  8. xeean

xeean Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there,

thanks for your reply :) I will try that out. Can you recommend a Usb OTG cable? I looked into some, but there were always mixed reviews.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  9. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Shanky

Shanky Pen Pal - Newbie

hi guys, this asus vivo tab note 8 can install windows 64 bit or not? because the proc seems like can support 64bit, i plan to try fresh install windows 8.1 64bit, any1 can help me? already tried to make bootable sd card, but its looks like it cannot detect. sorry for noob question, and bad english.