Vivotab Games Thread

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MaximumFish, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

I've managed to run FFIX on ePSXe on the 'Fast' settings. Need to experiment to see how high I can rank up the settings before it becomes too slow.

2. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

So, for the games I listed below you will most likely need a virtual keyboard, so let's start with that.
    Also what we badly need is a virtual joystick, some are already in development.

INPUT
    Comfort virtual keyboard pro - decent replacement for the built in OSK allows custom layouts, keys and app triggering
    Comfort Hot virtual keyboard - the same as the above but this one allows macro buttons.
    Comfort Keys Pro - a mix of keyboard, macro, clipboard etc.
    I added my custom keyboards below. It should be compatible with all the programs listed above, but you should fiddle with the program a little to make it work.
    • For a gaming setup, go to: On-screen Keyboard > Typing aid and enable key repeat.
    • To switch different layouts (the examples I posted have the switch key included) go to Keyboard shortcuts > Set the list of keyboards
    • To make a custom keyboard run with a particular app, see the "Dependencies menu in settings".
    • If the keyboard gets closed during intro or while the game loads: On-screen Keyboard, enable "Lock"
    • The program is buggy esp. when resolutions get switched.
      To get it back in place, try:
      On-screen Keyboard > Docking
      On-screen Keyboard > Advanced > Screen border
      In case it's stretched:
      On-screen Keyboard > Zoom

Driving1.jpg

GAMES: Atom-based tablets
    GREEN: fully playable, YELLOW: fully playable, custom OSK required or mild annoyances RED: has issues but is at least partially playable.

Unstoppable Gorg - available on Steam
    Monopoly 2012 - available from bigfishgames.com
    Westward 1-4 - playable, you need to disable any mouse device in device manager or you will get erratic input in-game - available from bigfish.com
    Need for Speed 5: Porsche - stretched in fullscreen, custom OSK
    Carmageddon TDR 2000 - custom OSK, mouse is ofset in menus: start dragging from the top left corner
    Neighbors from hell - 800x600 only, delete cinemaware.exe to get rid of pesky intro D-pad keyboard recommended - available from gog.com
    Mafia 1 - driving only, custom OSK, needs virtual joystick/mousepad app for aiming.
    Fallout tactics - requires HiRes Patch, without proper right click game pace might be too slow.

There may be other games too, but the "rule of the thumb" is up to 2004. Later games that don't have outrageous system requirements might work too and isometric non-3d ones should always work.
    For example I tried Half Life 2, it works but you have to set the absolute lowest settings and launch the game in DirectX 7 mode. That will lower the Shader model used so if there is a way to decrease that, even via config files or console commands some games might become playable.

It's a shame that many game developers have abused the high PC processing power for years. Android games really do show how much can be done with less.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

Ill add to what you wrote, those games with joystick needed do still run. I'm sure if you used motioninjoy with a ps3 controller it would work fine

4. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

5. Comp625

Comp625 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried any other games like X-Com, the CIV games, or an older SimCity (e.g. SimCity 2000)?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 and would love to see what oldies I should buy to run on here. That brings up another topic - where can one legally obtain some of these old games? I assume gog.com (Good Ol' Games) is a source but they aren't 100% comprehensive. Many oldies up to 2004 were still CD/DVD-based.

6. MaximumFish

MaximumFish Pen Pal - Newbie

Gog and Steam really are your best bet for finding older games legally, but there's a massive raft of games that will likely never see legal re-releases. Awkward publishers, lost rights, companies that simply don't exist anymore, they all conspire to make staying within the law a tricky affair. It's one reason why the life + 70 years thing on copyright is such crap!

7. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Is Faster Than Light also suitable for ladies? lol!

8. MaximumFish

MaximumFish Pen Pal - Newbie

Um, yes? Though I'd be curious to see a game that isn't suitable for ladies.

9. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

I also think GoG and Steam are pretty much the only places. Sometimes games like earlier Elder Scrolls titles have become freeware over time.

Also, we've seen some serious re-releases like Baldur's Gate or the soon-to-be-released Age of Empires 2 during the last months :)

10. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.