VivoTab Dock Sleep problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by woshisb, Dec 13, 2012.

1. woshisb

woshisb Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone experienced the sleep problem with vivotab (TF810C)?

When I dock my vivotab, and put it to sleep (say, close it or hit the button), it just doesn't wake up. I have do long press the power button and press it again to restart it.

Does anyone else have the same problem? How do I solve this?

Thanks a lot!

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're not alone here. My touchpad loses functionality after sleep but the keyboard still works. Undocking and docking again solves the problem. Don't know the cause yet. This happens at times though

3. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that may have happened to me once (fail to wake from sleep -- nnthemperor is talking about the glitchy trackpad/keyboard that does happen now and then), but generally no. I wake my machine upwards of a dozen times a day and it does not fail.

4. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not experienced any wake issues like that. I do have the issue where the touchpad will not work sometimes on wake. I either have to undock, or disable/enable the touchpad using Function - F9. I've only had my VivoTab for 4 days, though, so we'll see if I have wake problems.

5. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had that happen twice now. Where the computer shuts off completely. Not sure why. But 90% of the time it's fine. Except for losing track pad. I feel like the magnets in the case are messing with it somehow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

That just happened to me. My tab was sleeping at my desk. I went to wake it and required me to hold down the power button. Once it booted, I had a message from Windows saying something unexpected happened, and asked to send the data to Microsoft. It's almost like it's trying to hibernate, but does not recover properly. For what it's worth, it was sitting idle for a few hours.

7. woshisb

woshisb Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, after searching a little bit I have decided that it must be a driver issue, most say it's the display driver, so I uninstalled the display driver. BUT! After that I found that there was no appropriate display driver to download! WTF! I was left with the generic windows driver which gets about 6 or 7 fps in start screen.
    So I went to setting and used the "refresh your PC" thing. After about an hour (yea, dual core atom is still slow as a turtle and the so-called SSD in vivotab is as slow as atom! WTF Asus! What happened to all the improvements in SSD technology over the years?) it deleted my desktop programs (office etc.), but I got my display driver back. And I was pleased to find that the sleep problem was gone. Well, mostly, it only happen occasionally now, as supposed to happening every single time it sleeps.
    Thanks for the help guys! Hope you don't make the same mistakes I made, there is NO driver for the GPU, not even on intel website, and the one for samsung smart pc won't install.

8. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, that sucks you had to go through that! Yea, I'm a little worried about the lack of any drivers or software on the ASUS website. I had a Samsung 500T that I returned since I wanted the dual battery (tablet + dock) of the ASUS. During the month I had the Samsung, I received several driver and software updates from Samsung.

BTW, all of the Atom powered tablets seem to be using eMMC flash for the drive, not a true SSD, so that's where the slowdown is from. Basically, the eMMC performs at the level of a standard 7200 rpm hard drive (see the Windows Experience Index, it's 5.8 for the HDD). The "higher end" tablets with i3 and i5 cpus supposedly have SSDs.

9. woshisb

woshisb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea you are right, they are using eMMC which gives the bandwidth of 200Mbyte/S, so the fastest speed possible is 25MB/S as I understand it. This is a massive step backwards, no wonder chrome took 15 seconds to load! Coming from the S7S I am just not used to the intolerable speed, but I love the battery life so much! Ahhh...

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I had that problem twice or thrice when I got my device, but not recently.