Vivobook 13 Slate OLED?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Eltos, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

2. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Not sure about the pen. Apparently it has a relatively weak CPU. Despite that it kind of seems like the perfect replacement for my slowish Galaxy Book 2. Gotta be faster than that! And it's definitely a lot cheaper. Although.. base model has 4GB RAM and 128GB eMMC. That's bad.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...e-13-inch-laptop-with-detachable-oled-screen/

Tams and Eltos like this.
  3. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

The X13 Flow pen experience was so bad that I returned the laptop despite it being a full 2X faster (minimum) than my old one. I tried several pens but this Asus 2.0 pen was not out at the time (a week ago ha).

Maybe they've made massive improvements but I'd definitely wait for the Brad Colbows of the world to give it a test.

dellaster and Eltos like this.
  4. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

That's kind of what I was figuring...and it seems the thing may really be lacking in the processor department.

5. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah- pentium silver n6000. I don't know much about it.. but I know it's for people who find the i3 just a little too "sporty" ha

Eltos, dellaster and JoeS like this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apparently the screen is great for media consumption but as soon as you task the processor you'll be really sorry you put the money down. Forget about anything more than emailing and browsing the web. The reviews I've read say at least Asus could have allowed this thing to be a 2nd display for that OLED screen but it's not.

Eltos likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dave2D has a somewhat more forgiving take on the performance, commenting that the SP8 while faster, isn't that great for demanding tasks either (@5:40):

I'm a little skeptical of the first reviewers' take that an i3 would have made a world of difference. Dave2D is more balanced imo, you get proportionally less performance, but the value prop is there with included accessories and a higher gamut screen.

Eltos and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of the main reasons I'm not joining the hype in wanting an SP8 even if that slim pen 2 is much better for art. I don't think it's twice the computer of the Asus and it's certainly not worth $1300 with all accessories included.

Eltos likes this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It seems the ROG Slate is all but confirmed.

https://rog.asus.com/event/The-Rise-of-Gamers/

It's not going to be cheap though, and I highly doubt they'll have moved on from their implementation of MPP. Really wish they'd just go back to EMR.

daddyfish likes this.
  10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, just curious, where do you see that on the page? A good work+gaming tablet sounds like music to my ears. Do hope they are going for 16:10 or 3:2, 16:9 is a bit awkward for a tablet.

ps: for people doubting over the pentium silver n6000, its a bit worse than the i5-8250u all in all https://hitesti.com/compare/cpu/intel-pentium-silver-n6000-vs-intel-core-i5-8250u , for light computing it seems to suffice.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021