Vista -> XP

Discussion in 'Asus' started by VantageR, May 8, 2008.

1. VantageR

VantageR Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Since a few weeks I'm an happy owner of a R1E-3P032E. Everything works fine, but I'm dissappointed about the performance of Windows Vista. Even with some unnecessary services turned off, it takes about 5 minutes till Vista is completely started up.

So I'm thinking of putting XP (tablet edition) on the laptop, but the question is. Would it solve the slow speed problem? And are there any other cons by using XP instead of Vista? (Linux is a bit too complicated for me, and I can't without the compatibility of Windows).

I'm also want to install a faster (7200rpm) hard drive. Is it easy to replace the current hard drive? Unfortunately, I can't find any technical documentation about this tabletpc. Or would it void my warrenty?

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The harshest service in Vista is the indexer. It really slows down the boot time. If you haven't already, turn it off.

Cons to XP? The biggest one is inking, it's not as good as Vista. This was the only reason I moved back to Vista from XP. The only other con would be power management...it's more integrated in Vista.

It's a 2 minute job to replace the hard drive. I've done it without a problem.

3. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I moved to Vista from XP on my R1F and one of the things I like best is the faster boot time in Vista. I can't believe you are taking 5 minutes to boot up. That sounds like a significant problem of some kind.

I did a hard drive replacement. The physical swap is a piece of cake on the R1F, the thing that would take the longest is rebuilding the system. In fact, I swapped back and forth about 20 times while I gradually built the new system completely from scratch and then referred back to the old system for forgotten serial numbers and other software issues.

FYI, I bought a "hybrid" drive (has some flash memory built in) and feel that system performance is better. Although I did it with the Vista clean install so it is old HD w/XP vs new HD w/Vista. I think it is 5400 not 7200 rpm but it is supposed to be much faster due to the "hybrid" feature.

4. VantageR

Ok, thanks for the replies.

The indexer is already switched off. I have found out that the service called "UxSms" is the problem. It uses 50% of my CPU for about 4 minutes. With a fast search it seems to be a service for the visual effects (Aero). So I turned all of the visual effects off (except the windows vista style), but it didn’t have much effect.

@jdwilson: Thanks for the tip about a hybrid drive. I will look up some more info about that.

5. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

Just as a point of contention - Boot up time is almost a non-consideration from my perspective. I hardly ever shutdown my system - I just send it to sleep - then bring it back up later...

I am on my laptop for 6 to 9 hours every week day - and Vista is screaming fast (almost no lag ever). Boot up time is about 4 minutes (but I have never actually timed it... I will after I post this though).

Some tweaks I have done:

1. Enable write caching on my HD
    2. Remove unnecessary services
    3. IE multiple fetch and seek (as opposed to (2 at a time))

As a side note - I am currently running Objectdock and Switcher - both of which are known memory hogs - and my machine still flys with zero lag...

Make sure if you are on AC power - you have your power preference set to Power4Gear High Performance - this makes a MAJOR difference on performance.

~above~

6. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

Vista bootup to the login screen is 55 seconds - but I have a dual boot system with leopard - so there is a menu selection in there...

Vista completely loaded (time till the CPU meter reads down at zero and objectdock is finally loaded) 1 min 59 seconds - this time includes a few seconds for me to type in my password or swipe my finger...

Just thought I would throw those values out there...

~above~

7. VantageR

I've set the "Safe" Configuration of this website. It seems Vista finally starts a little bit faster.

I will also use the sleep mode. I always thought the laptop is using power in that mode, but I was confused with stand-by mode. I think I'll keep using Vista, because Asus gives no more support for XP. Thanks for your replies anyway.