Vista SP1 and Windows 7 FREEZING

Discussion in 'Asus' started by the lah, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the lah

the lah Pen Pal - Newbie

Usually on battery power my Asus RF1 freezes (Mouse locks up and keyboard), and its becoming very slow and unusable.

I really wanted to use it but im not sure where or why the problem occurs.

Usually it freezes in like 2-30 minutes of usage, and this makes it unusable.

If this continues what should i do please need help! Im beginning to hate asus.

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Freezing is usually a software problem, not hardware. i need to know what you think caused the problem, as your initial post was very general.

Worst case scenario, you do a system restore or reset it back to factory settings.

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If he's installing TWO operating systems and it's still freeezing, I'd make sure the device drivers are up to date first.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I am more inclined to think he has a bunch of crap files on his system / a virus. Drivers wouldnt be the problem, as he described it happening in windows seven, which usually has every piece of older hardware covered driver-wise.

5. alphaswift

but oddly enough, the Win7 video driver on the R1F does not support rotation ( you have to install the latest Vista driver ).

6. ddc

ddc Pen Pal - Newbie

After I replaced the stock Fujitsu 80GB HDD with a Samsung 320GB HDD I had a problem of Vista freezing up on battery power within a matter of minutes (but never on AC power). After I turned off various power management settings, the problem was fixed completely. Try that and also check the logs in Problem Reports and Solutions (in the control panel) which may give you a hint on what is causing the problem.

7. the lah

the lah Pen Pal - Newbie

Well its a clean version of vista and windows 7, im not sure how there can be a virus. And i didn't even install files yet...

Plus Now my tablet is heating up! And it smells like its burning. Can it be windows 7's problem? Not being able to function with this tablet?

8. alphaswift

I'm running Win7 on mine without a problem. In fact, it runs very well. Yours 'smells' like a hardware problem especially if it takes time to heat up and then freezes.

Since it's out of warranty, I'd be trying different things like setting the laptop on top of four (pencil) erasers and blowing air from a desk fan on the laptop. Essentially, I'd be trying to confirm that heat is the problem. If that test ( or something like it ) could extend the time it takes to freeze the tablet, I'd buy a can of air, open it up and try and remove any dust build up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.