Vista Service Pack 1 on the C-140

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by nikecar, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscarlucy

oscarlucy Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone installed it yet? It was released just earlier today...if you read some of the knowledge base articles before installing, it tells you that the Service Pack 1 Vista update won't be available through Windows Update (meaning if you check for new updates, Windows Update won't find it) because some drivers (including the SigmaTel audio driver and UPEK Fingerprint driver) could cause potential conflicts with SP1, and Windows Update checks your computer for blacklisted/outdated drivers before allowing you to actually "see" the update as being available through WU. If you guys have kept up with updating Vista by constantly downloading/installing the automatic updates as they appear through Windows Update, then Vista SP1 would show up as apporximately a 66 MB file (because some files have been released through Windows Update already).

The other option is to download the standalone version which is 420+ megabytes, and contains some of the files that have already been released through Windows Update as earlier updates.

So has anyone actually been able to "see" SP1 with Windows Update and been able to download/install it and get it to work? Has anyone also tried using the standalone version and got it working yet? A lot of people have been ignoring the potential driver issues and downloading the standalone version if they cant see it through Windows Update and have been reporting no problems (see Notebook Review Forums) but idk if i want to take the risk right now...but just curious to see if any C140 owners have gone ahead with the update yet....thanks!

2. oscarlucy

FYI, i updated the two problematic drivers in the C140 that Microsoft lists as having potential problems with our ability to see the SP1 update through WU...these were the SigmaTel audio driver and the UPEK driver. Updated them both (got sigmatel driver from gateway support, version 6.14.something, updated from 6.10.xxxx, and UPEK driver from UPEK support, and still nothing. Those were the only 2 drivers listed on the microsoft knowledge base that could cause problems, but i've updated them both and still can't see the SP1 update through Windows Update. Let me guys know if you have any luck or have found a solution.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm holding off. Here in the site, in the News forum, they installed it and benchmarked the test tablet and SP1 caused a decrease in benchmark performance scores...

4. scythe000

scythe000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Works great for me. BTW, those are THE VERY FIRST benchmarks I've seen from ANYBODY that shows a decrease in performance. I call shenanigans.

5. oscarlucy

Finally got it to work, amazingly, i opened Windows Update RIGHT before i was going to shut off my laptop and checked for updates again and it just showed up as a 66.9 MB file. Installation took about 40 minutes.

To be honest, i haven't noticed any HUGE performance changes at all. The reason a performance decrease could be seen might be because it's going to take time for Vista's pre/superfetch system to cache your used programs and such again. There have been numerous articles already showing the benefits of SP1, from enhanced security, stability, future hardware compatability, etc. Remember, SP1 Release Candidate had been been in beta testing for months before they released the official SP1 yesterday. If it's any consolation, i do recognize a little more "snappiness" overall with Vista after the SP 1. But if you're like me and you upgraded your C140 and keep it constantly "clean" (i have a 250 GB 7,200 RPM HD, 3 GB of RAM, defrag once a month, etc.) then i seriously doubt you'd notice ANY performance changes at all. But i'd definitely update ASAP.

For those with C140's, remember to upgrade your SigmaTel audio driver and your UPEK fingerprint reader drivers, or else you will not be able to see the incremental 66.9 MB SP1 package through Windows Update, and you could run into problems if you download the much bigger standalone SP1 package while you have older drivers still. Also, if you can't "see" SP1 through Windows Update after you've updated your drivers then just reboot, wait a bit, and keep checking, it'll eventually show up.

6. MJCS

MJCS Pen Pal - Newbie

SP1 is working like a charm on my C-140 :)

7. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Where exactly did you find the SigmaTel driver? I can only find the 6.10.5365 driver on Gateway's site.

8. oscarlucy

9. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that worked.

10. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed SP1 from the standalone installer (it wasn't showing up in WU and I didn't care to look for a fix) and it seems to be working just fine. I would like to point out that I use hybrid sleep very regularly, and it is much faster now, both going to sleep and resuming. This may be dependent on the software and drivers that I have loaded at any given time, so you may not notice this speed increase. Beyond that, we also have the improvements in the defragmenter utility. We can finally specify which volume(s) to defrag, which is nice for people with external drives. I'm sure this could be done from the command line, but I am a lazy sob and didn't care enough to look up the commands.

Has anyone tested the disk to disk transfers to see if they are indeed faster? I haven't anything that needs to be transferred, othewise I would test it myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.