Vista Premium or Vista Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista OS' started by arachnyd, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arachnyd

arachnyd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Vista Business 32 bit, but I also have 12GB ram. Because of this I am going to buy 64 bit. home premium is $99, and Ultimate is $179.99. Is it with that extra $80 for Ultimate? Will I even notice a difference?

I've read about the differences, and it is clear Ultimate has more features, but it didn't look like there were anything someone would even notice? None of the reviews actually consider the price component of it. Has anyone found Vista ultimate worth the price difference?

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

It is to me, but let me explain my story.

I NEED bitlocker and remote desktop for my work. I work for the gov't, and file security is a big +.

Unless you plan to use it as a work computer, i doubt vista ultimate is necessary.

3. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

For most Home Premium is just fine. The main feature it lacks is the ability to join a domain on a network (i.e. connect to the server at work in the same way as the desktops based there do). The other features you'd probably know if you needed them! So save the cash, unless you want bragging rights.

4. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

If you have Vista Business, and you don't want another version you can just use your current key to install the 64bit version. You do not need to purchase a new copy.

5. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, what tablet do you have that supports 12GB of ram???

6. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

True. The keys work with either version, so you just need to get the media somewhere. For those with a retail version of Vista you can get the 64-bit media direct from Microsoft for just a handling fee, other owners (OEM) will have to be more creative :)

7. thompson44

thompson44 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ofcourse in Ultima, you get ILP, interface language pack (or whatever microsoft calls it).

Like, i got a laptop with VISTA home permium in german pre-installed, unless i upgrade to ultima i cant change the language in which these popups are displayed...

infact i havent got a solution/tweaks till now of how to change the ILP to english on VISTA Home premium.