Vista on R1F. Time to say goodbye.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ericisshort, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe I'm having a bad day, but Vista on my R1E is just getting slow. I do all the things to keep a system in pristine shape but it just seems so damn slow.

I use Readyboost. I defragment. I update.

I recently moved back to XP from Vista on my desktop system and have been much happier. My only worry with the tablet is my still currently excellent inking capabilities, and maybe the mobile support.

Has anyone else rolled back? Why? Are you happier?

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I really do not have this problem running vista on the R1F. I do have 2Gb of real memory (no readyboost). The first month, the disk activity was very high (i believe for the indexing), but is now under control, and only surges for a while after installing something new.
    I did have to desactivate protected mode in IE7, as it makes it slow to a crawl, bt apart from that no real issue.
    When you say slow, do you have any specifics ?

3. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

No, I'm too happy with Vista64 to switch back. I also cannot say I have the problems you have. Sometimes I do feel the Tablet is slow in shutting down or going into sleep mode but that is the only time it's too slow for me.

4. ericisshort

ericisshort Pen Pal - Newbie

same here. Plus, I think vista is way better than xp tablet edition for tablet functions. I never have to calibrate with vista and I did at least twice a week with xp tablet edition. Its not slow for me except shutting down, but I also have 2Gb of ram. On the other hand, I dont know anyone who has a good time on vista using only a gig.

5. romanca

romanca Pen Pal - Newbie

Vista Service Pack 1 - give it a chance. I just did yesterday and it is amazing how much better is the experience.

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just to update the thread, I did switch back to XP and have been more than happy with the results. XP + ON2007 is a very nice combination.

Also, I added Service Pack 3 to XP last week and everything is working great.

7. ericisshort

ericisshort Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I just put the beta of sp1 on my machine and man is it smoother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.