Vista Beta 2 & Office 2007 Beta

Discussion in 'Software' started by zark2.7, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

More Notes on Vista -

1) READYBOOST - this is an awesome feature under vista. It makes a large prefetch file in removable devices. You take a usb key (with more than 256mb) and hook it up as a spare gas tank. Amazingly, my 513 key with 1/4 full really improved performance. Worth a try.

2) Random boot errors - I started the computer up from sleep and it went into critical boot errors after lunch. Had to use the system DVD and repair windows. Watch out

3) Wireless performance - turn off a lot of extra stacks and protocols, and make sure that you go into windows and set your connection to be "Automatically Connected" and set your connection to "Private" to avoid having to reconnect every time you bootup/wakeup

4) Media Center - sluggish but performs to expectations. Useful features if you use your notebook for DVD or TV watching. Wait for PVR drivers in the upcoming weeks/months.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really do enjoy this particular thread.
    Thank you again gautam :)

3. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Vista seems to be largely based in WinXP, which begs the question why it took so long for Microsoft to churn this edition out. Many of the old WinXP run commands still seem to work – you can still access many of the “tweaks” via “msconfig,” “regedit,” and “cmd.” I find it entertaining that Vista still has a command prompt – it has been Microsoft’s long time goal to eliminate any vestige of DOS, but it seems inescapable.
    Another Odd bug in Vista is that the battery on my notebook does not get charged unless it is less than 50% or so charged. I currently have the notebook icon in the taskbar noting that “87% remaining, plugged in, not charging.” I think it is pretty odd.
    Another point is that the Task Manager (Cntrl+Alt+Del) is hard to get to. You have to wait for 10 seconds after C+A+Del, then you are taken to an administrative page where you can choose Task Manager as one option. There should be some way around all that work…
    I cannot seem to remove the Security Center icon from the taskbar. Its irritating that UAC is monitored by the security center.

Drivers that DID NOT Work Immediately

Sound (Internal Realtek and PCMCIA SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS for Notebook)
    5-In One Multi Card Reader
    PVR (KWorld)

Also,

DVD Decrypter (Latest/Last Version) seems to work just fine with Vista

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

More on Vista -

1) Improving Wireless performance - if you use IE7, you can uncheck a box that says "Protected Mode" and get marginally improved performance. Still, everyone is complaining about poor WiFi in Beta 2...oh well, its a Beta.
    2) Tablet Mode - used it for a while today, BIG IMPROVEMENT over TPC2005. Highly recommend tablet users to get on Vista. The handwriting recognition has significant improvements for those who write in cursive. The input bar has been improved to have some simple commands, a complete rubbing of a work finally erases it now in the input bar. When you combine Tablet + Word 2007, you really get it easy since Work automatically puts in spaces after periods, and I think some periods are added as well.

The strokes are nice and easy to see - the point is thicker and seems to be more accurate overall. I think a large part of this improvement is the ability for Vista to store and memorise the way you write. There is an area in Vista to program your own handwriting.

Battery Life & Sleep - still both are really bad, but at least the Sleep has some customizations that are a little inconspicious. In the Power Settings, you can tell Vista if you want the computer to lock on wakeup, and there is a setting for WiFi power. If you are on battery, the WiFi range will be dramatically reduced, so make sure that this is on Maximum Performance.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Again, thanks gautam..
    A good thread to keep alive and for reference.

6. pbaird

pbaird Pen Pal - Newbie

You mentioned that the Audigy ZS notebook card did not work immediately.
    Any luck with it? I'm hoping that you can use XP drivers?

7. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

pbaird - the XP drivers fail miserably. I have had no luck whatsoever. I just hope that drivers for it come out soon, since I would like to keep Vista on my machine. Reverting back to WinXP - well, it just won't be cool...

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

so question, why not just dual boot? thats what im doing...

9. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Dual booting is a pain for me since i would need separate hard partitions, and a bootmenu each time I load. It also has been shown to slow down machines as well. I like to run a lean, speedy machine.

If I really wanted to dual boot, I would get a Mac and go for boot camp. That would be a really useful and legitimate dual boot. (professional musicians and audiophiles use Macs for editing and mixing music)

10. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

you can default the bootmenu to like 2 seconds...

im all about running multiple partitions.

hey about the external memory thing... so if i get a tablet with a sd slot, and i stick a 2gb sd card in there, it will speed up my windows a lot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.