Vista Beta 2 & Office 2007 Beta

Discussion in 'Software' started by zark2.7, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Has anyone tested out the new public release of Vista Ultimate Beta 2 on their c310? One review says it has been REALLY sluggish on a x41 tablet. Take a look. Post your experiences with the new Office 2007 as well.

CRN.com Vista Beta 2 Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like the X41 might not be the best candidate for a Vista upgrade. Yoda predicts Lenovo will release a refresh before the Vista release!

3. master

master Pen Pal - Newbie

Really?
    Hmm I wonder what Lenovo will come out with then, I cant see it varying too wildly from current models.

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Well - I finally installed Office 2007 Beta. Runs like a charm on the c314. The new ribbon interface is a little confusing at first, but once you get used to it, its really a great transition from the textual interface.

I really like how we get a wordcount at the botton of Word, and lot of things look a look clearer and the presentation has improved. Playing around with Powerpoint, I see that the interface is drastically changed. There is some new stuff to learn for sure.

I will wait for the CPP Vista release to come out next week or so before migrating from WinXP.

5. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used the Office Beta 2 release and while I find that the new interface is very aesthetically pleasing (and even more so on Vista - try googling for Office 2007 screenshots on Vista), it does take some getting use to. I guess that through the ages of using the menu system, I've become very used to it and it's not quite as easy to navigate around using the ribbon system. A simple example would be attempting to find the ink annotation tool bar (or ribbon - whatever). Using Word 2003 I would have gone to "View" --> "Toolbars" --> "ink annotations", however without the menu bar, I couldn't find where to do this. Of course there is a way to do it, but it just shows that there will be a learning curve to seasoned verterans of the old Office system.

Otherwise, there are quite a few perks to the new Office System. I love how when you have a block of text selected and you browse through the different fonts, it will show you a preview of how your document will look with that font. When you right click on a word, there are significantly many more options to choose from on how to format that word, which is quite useful and timesaving (and you don't even have to highlight the entire word to apply an effect to it.)

For the per license cost, I'm not sure if I can justify upgrading my entire office to it, but it's certainly a much better upgrade to 2003 than 2003 was to XP.

6. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I would agree about not wanting to spend upwards of 500$ to get the new office.

The outlook hasnt been changed at all - in fact, I don't think anything has changed other than the sidebar. There is a new feature that supposedly finds POP/SMTP servers, but it hasnt worked for my four different accounts. Same old deal.

The new .docx is going to be a pain in the - for people who are still in office 2003. Looks like even if you did upgrade, you have to stick with compatability mode for a long time.

7. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I am now running Vista Ultimate Beta 2 on the c314.

It is not at all as sluggish as I expected it would be. THe battery life is pitiful, though.

I wanted to let other c314 owners know that Vista does not recognise the Realtek audio driver - you need to download a Vista beta ready one from the manufacturer's website.

I will keep you posted on issues regarding Vista on tablet pc (c314 in particular)

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This I would like to hear more of.
    It will be nice to hear the views of users running Vista on various hardware platforms.

9. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

OK - so here's the scoop for Vista on c314:
    1) You'll need to fiddle with drivers - the Vista Realtek driver gives an Error message saying it isn’t for Vista, but you need to get rid of the software to alleviate this.
    2) Bluetooth - you need to install ePM to let Vista know a Bluetooth radio exists. You cannot uninstall ePM after, since Vista will NOT keep the device radio running. You NEED ePM, unfortunately.
    3) Wireless - ultra poor reception - some suggestions have been removing IPv6 protocol from the device settings. It improves a bit, since Windows doesn’t have to struggle with other things. IPv6 is a new protocol for packet transfer that probably has use in the future. Even with this feature off, my signal is dropped every five or ten minutes. So much for Acer Signal-Up technology.
    3) Battery Life - ABYSMAL - I get around 1 min / 1 % of battery life. So terrible one might think to downgrade back to XP - but that leads me to...
    4) The Sidebar! - excellent addition to Windows. The feature has a setting to load on windows startup, which doesn’t work. Put a shortcut to Sidebar in the Startup folder. Really neat feature - multiple clocks, egg timer, games, RSS, etc. The number puzzle breaks, and eats its own blocks. Another bug in Vista. I think that the Sidebar has a lot of potential when third party developers start making them.
    5) Programs and Crashing - Vista loves to crash, probably since its in Beta. Its does so a bit more gracefully - Microsoft has skirted system instability by putting on a good face when Vista crashes. You get options. System will hang in all places. Vista is obsessed with Not Responding even when something is just loading.
    6) Windows Explorer - has a lot of issues here. I don't know if its related to the WinFS or what, but none of my programs can browse explorer without crashing and exiting. I can access files via Windows Explorer, so for example, if I wanted to open a Word 2007 file, I can't do it through Word. I have to open the file through C:\ whatever... This means that I cannot create a new word file through word, it has to be done with the explorer context menu, as “New > Windows Word file.” I think problem is the only thing that will force me to not use Vista as my main OS.
    7) Anti-Virus - I was forced to uninstall AVG antivirus, and Vista doesn’t come with one. It does come with anti-spyware and anti-malaware. I will have to see if AVG installs without problems.
    8) Aero mode – works like a charm. It breaks up programs such as Intervideo WinDVD 7. Aero is surprisingly aesthetic. Try out win+tab and alt+tab.
    9) Tablet Mode – pen works fine. The tablet buttons don’t work, as expected. You will have to manually change screen modes with software. The pen feels more accurate, and the handwriting recognition better yet.
    10) Activation – I think the servers are getting bombarded 24/7, because online activation failed repeatedly. I used the phone method which was simple and automated – 5 mins.

Some Programs I Use that Work 100% with Vista:

SmartFTP
    Mozilla Firefox + Extensions

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you for the info gautam3.
    Valuable insights :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.