Vista and Your Fujitsu Tablet

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by vimafeje, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

This thread is to resolve some persistent questions from people currently trying out the betas of Vista, or who have the MSDN release or a dodgy copy of the corporate release they snaked from work/the Internet (which will no doubt be shut down by Microsoft at their earliest opportunity):

Aero Glass

Aero Glass is not particularly hardware intensive, and will run fine on integrated hardware as long as it's a GMA950 or better (T4210/T4215). Some of the early Vista versions did not have a driver to support it which is why some people report difficulties. From memory, the current driver has some problems with the rotation feature. The GMA900 found in slightly older machines does not run Aero Glass, but Vista will still work fine, it will just look a bit more like Windows XP with a new skin.

Edit: According to some of our members running the MSDN version of Vista, the driver issues with the GMA950 that were present in the beta versions are resolved.

Drivers

Your laptop contains a lot of special hardware. The beta and corporate releases of Vista do not include a large driver library to support most of this hardware, and you'll find that less important functions such as button panels, screen rotation etc. won't work. Part of the reason that Vista is not yet available as a consumer release is to give manufacturers time to develop proper drivers for Vista to put in the consumer version, which will have a much larger driver library but otherwise be identical to the version currently available to corporates. The corporations have large IT departments to sort out their deployment issues. If you want Vista to work easily for you, wait until the end of January and you'll find you have a much easier time.

Until then, the common thing you can try to get button panels etc. to work is to use the XP driver. This seems to be the only suggestion that's come across in the 4 or 5 threads I've seen since the late betas. In some cases this has been found to work, whereas in others it doesn't.

I know we're all impatient to have the fancy new operating system, but unless you're keen to struggle through the issues and/or live with a machine that doesn't work quite right, I suggest you wait for the consumer release.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

if you plan to buy a full version of vista retail in January, it isn't going to be any different from the msdn version.

If instead you buy your machine new from a manufacturer, then by that time, they will have come out w/ programs that are compatible with vista, to do the additional functions that the oem software provides. The OS itself is NO different.

3. HipboyScott

HipboyScott Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you think getting a tablet now with the 'upgrade to vista free' offer would be a good option, or should I wait 3 months and get one with vista pre-loaded?

All of this in regards to having tablet-specific functions and such integrated. IF I can download them myself, then it might be easiest to get one now and deal with XP for cleaning bloatware....should make my vista install pretty clean.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'd wait for it to be preloaded

5. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been running Vista (MSDN subscriber) and the comments about Aero and driver issues are accurate. I suspect Fujitsu might make drivers available about the time of the official announcement (November 30) becuase it is available to corporate customers at that time. I doubt that Fujitsu wants to miss the corporate accounts.

6. caeci11ius

Drtigerlilly: I read somewhere that Microsoft would be increasing the size of the driver library included with the commercial release in January (as many more drivers will be released for Vista between now and then). You are, however, correct when you say that the OS will be no different (except for perhaps bug fixes, which will be delivered to the MSDN version via WindowsUpdate).

7. caeci11ius

If you want an easy, and probably pretty bloatware free install just wait and get a preinstalled copy from Fujitsu (they tend not to put many crappy programs on their machines before shipping). If, on the other hand, you want total control of your install, then you might as well buy the machine now and upgrade later. That way, you might get a Vista install disk rather than a restore disk (where you'd have to make your own install disk to get a clean install). That way, you will be able to do your own installation from scratch and you won't have to wait so long for your tablet.

8. Uberphotos

Uberphotos Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, so I had a problem with my 4215 resuming out of sleep mode after I pressed the power button... It would randomly lock up and force a restart.
    To resolve the issue I had to change a setting in the BIOS. I disabled the hardware power saving setting in the misc. section (I'm not sure exactly what the setting were named, but you get the idea.) After doing this, no more lock ups.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting..... and many thanks for the feedback.
    This has been a known problem on the T4210 for a long time.
    I would have hoped it had been addressed for the T4215.

10. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I am not seeing this on my 4215 with Vista, but I don't use sleep very often. I am seeing that after resume from hibernate there are troubles with the ethernet connection getting a new DHCP address. I think tomorrow is the formal release of Vista for Enterprise so hopefully we'll see some updates.

PS: Looks to me that the 4215 is just the 4210 with the Core 2 Duo and the new screen option. Other stuff seems identical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.