Vista and the t4220

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by 919jack, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candyman26

candyman26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there really any advantage to using vista over xp? Im seriously debating this...

also those of you who have instaled vista after receiving your laptop did the drivers cd you had work?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The handwriting is better, although myself personally I am more than happy to stick with XP until all the problems of drivers and conflicts have been sorted where then a full Vista SP1 will be issued.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL, every time I see those 2 names together in a thread or post I think "Beauty and the Beast"... nope, no real advantage I see, except for the Vista inking experience.

4. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

I tend to agree, I was happy with XP. However, as you may know, Vista has some tablet functionality that I could never get from XP.

The inking is much better; I didn't really use this in XP because it was like pulling teeth. I still don't use it that often, but now I can fill in a field or even write an email in tablet mode no problem, not as fast as typing of course but it is a vast improvement. I am sure more has been said about this by those who know more than I do about the comparison.

The feature that makes me never want to go back to XP is the penflicks in Vista. There were some 3rd party penflick programs for XP, I can't recall the names, but I never could get good flick recognition out of the ones I tried. I work in online mathematics education, mostly high school students in courses from algebra 1 to basic calculus. I am always opening multiple browser tabs/windows (like 40+) for grading assignments, pasting in comments for student feedback, checking and updating contact information, lots of window/tab changing and mouse(pen) clicking. Using the click-and-receipt happy BlackBoard learning platform, grading 10 clicks per student per day at 100+ students, plus course maintenance and emails, you can really mouse click yourself right into a repetitive strain injury (and I did!).

So I now have pen flicks for next tab and previous tab (Ctrl Tab keystroke in Firefox and new IE), back, delete and undo, copy and paste, and clipboard paste (program that saves 100+ clipboard entries for easy pasting). This saves me not only stress on my hands, but also minutes in each hour!

So, for me XP was better/preferable for most functions, certainly faster than Vista for any given configuration that I can afford, but for my very specific work Vista is a huge increase in productivity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.