Virtual On-Screen Keyboard

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sergx, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergx

Sergx Pen Pal - Newbie

Released new version of Comfort On-Screen Keyboard.
    [​IMG]
    Changes in version 3.6:
    • Added an ability to make simple skins. (Pro Edition)
    • Added new themes: Vista, Office 2007 Blue, Office 2007 Silver, Office 2007 Black, MacOS.
    • An on-screen keyboard on the Windows logon screen has been improved (you have to completely reinstall the program for this feature).
    • Added a new button to emulate the CTRL+ALT+DEL key combination on the logon screen (Windows 2000/2003/XP).
    • Added a new option for the on-screen keyboard: "Show On-Screen Keyboard when the text cursor is visible".
    • Added new on-screen keyboard types: FullScreen1024, FullScreen1440. (Pro Edition)
    • Added new interface language: Turkish.
    • Fixed a minor bug: when letters were aligned to the center of keys on the on-screen keyboard and Alt was pressed, the numbers on the NumPad were not shown.
    • Some UI enhancements.
    http://on-screen-keyboard.com/

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Sergx

Sergx Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

New version 4.0:
    + Added native support for Windows 7 multitouch. Touch input is available with 255 touch points. (Pro Edition)
    + Added new keyboard types: MiniUnspaced, Standard3 (without NumPad), TouchGame1, TouchGame2. (Pro Edition)
    + Added an ability to close the keyboard if the "Show the on-screen keyboard next to the text cursor" option is enabled.
    * The number of simultaneously supported languages has been increased to 30. (Pro Edition)
    + Added support of PNG images in the keyboard editing mode.
    + Added new parameters for confirming the addition of words to the custom dictionary: Disappearance delay, confirmation with a hotkey. (Pro Edition)
    + Added an ability to download dictionaries directly from the program. (Pro Edition)
    * When the screen resolution is changed, the keyboard stays in the same corner of the screen it was before.
    + Added a new command line parameter -SHOWKEYBOARD (forcibly show the on-screen keyboard when the program is started).
    + Added a new command to the context menu that brings up the language and text input services dialog.
    + Added an ability to dock the keyboard to the top or bottom of the screen while decreasing the size of the desktop.
    + Added a new option: "Show symbols accessible via Shift when Shift is not pressed and font is not large".
    + Added new parameters for the word autocompletion feature: "Auto Hide", "Show, hide and move with the on-screen keyboard", "Lock", "Confirm with a key". (Pro Edition)
    + Added a new parameter for the keyboard icon: "Hide when the keyboard is visible".
    + Added the language parameter to autocompletion dictionaries. Dictionaries are activated depending on the currently selected system language.
    + Added an ability to change the size of the keyboard without the need to edit it.
    + Added new settings for the on-screen keyboard: "Fit to the screen width", "Fit to the screen height".
    + Added a new parameter "Mouse pointer" for the onscreen keyboard: Standard (Arrow), Hand and Invisible.
    + Added a new interface setting: "Show buttons in the caption".
    + Added an ability to configure the folder with autocompletion dictionaries.
    + Added hotkey icons for Windows 7.
    + Added new parameters for the on-screen keyboard:
    Enable key repeat;
    Hold down key until Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Win is pressed;
    Enable AutoClick;
    AutoClick delay;
    Set capital after the specified character;
    Delete a space before specified characters;
    Add a space after specified characters;
    Add a space before specified characters.

See: on-screen keyboard

3. Sergx

Sergx Pen Pal - Newbie

New version 4.3:
    + Added a toolbar for launching the on-screen keyboard.
    + Added a new parameter "Show the program toolbar in the taskbar".
    + Added new keyboard types: SkinWin7, SkinMulticolor, SkinWhite, MiniDemo, TwoSides.
    + Added new options for assigning images to each key of the on-screen keyboard:
    separate images for different key states, a separate font color for each key state,
    "Draw a border around a key", "Resize with a key", "Fit by width and height".
    + Added a new parameter for the on-screen keyboard: "When I enter a password don't show which keys are tapped".
    * Enhanced the large icons on the multimedia keys of the on-screen keyboard.
    + Words entered by users are now recorded in UTF-8.
    + Added a new command line parameter /RESTORE.
    + Added large flag images (32x32) for the language bar and the on-screen keyboard.
    + Added the display of the flag and a "Show label" setting for the custom view of the language bar. The size of the flag depends on the size of the language bar (16x16 or 32x32).
    * Close and Auto Hide buttons have a new style now.
    + Added an ability to launch Microsoft's on-screen keyboard in the keyboard editing and icon management windows.
    * When working with the word autocomplete function enabled, "-" and "&" characters do not trigger automatic word completion.
    + Added the display of the keyboard layout when dead keys are pressed (for German, French and other languages).
    * The Office2003 theme has been replaced with the Aqua theme.
    + Added a new parameter in the "Keys" section: "Labels on system keys depend on the currently selected input language".
    + Added a new parameter in the "Keys" section: "Show the state of Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock keys".
    + Added an ability to configure the list of keyboards in the "Activate the next keyboard type" action settings.
    + Added an ability to remove the word directly from the autocompletion list by highlighting the unnecessary word and then pressing Delete key.
    + Added a new parameter for the word autocomplete function: "Do not show words with 1 character remaining".
    + Added a new parameter for the word autocomplete function: "Show as a set of buttons next to the on-screen keyboard".
    + Added new interface languages: Byelorussian, Croatian.
    - Fixed bugs that occurred in Windows Vista and Windows 7 with User Account Control (UAC) enabled.
    - Fixed the work of the command line parameter /COMMON.
    - Fixed a bug: The on-screen keyboard was displayed incorrectly before logging in on multi-monitor systems.
    - Fixed a bug: The on-screen keyboard was displayed incorrectly next to the text cursor on multi-monitor systems.
    - Fixed a bug: In some cases, the language bar docked next to the on-screen keyboard changed its location on the screen.

See: on-screen keyboard

4. OchoZero9

OchoZero9 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll try it. I doubt I'll buy it even though I'm considering purchasing an external portable keyboard. I type about 60-80 wpm with the regular keyboard. With the windows 7 virtual keyboard I type about 25 wpm. and it feels very akward no haptic feedback and stuff. it takes up most of the screen and it isnt transparent. unless theres a registry hack or something.
    I really wish we had more options that i knew about. I love swype on my phone that would be great for tablets since you dont have to stio using the pen when you need to type something.

5. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

the on-screen keyboard has that sound feedback. that isn't enough? i just wish you could replace the input panel keyboard with the on-screen keyboard. there's no reason for microsoft to support 2 different keyboards under windows 7. the input panel keyboard is a relic.

the inscribe keyboard has swype like functionality and you can totally customize it. it's not as good as swype and has a lot of faults. but you can compensate for its problems by adding redundant keys and using looping motions (solves the problem with hitting keys in the same direction).

6. StewartJoseph

StewartJoseph Pen Pal - Newbie

"i just wish you could replace the input panel keyboard with the on-screen keyboard."

Saw another post that mentioned that one could pin the OSK to the taskbar. Not as accessible as the IPK still but a little better access.

SJ

7. Jackey

Jackey Pen Pal - Newbie

This is so cool...

8. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

another supporter of this awesome software!

Modifying their template to use on my HP Slate:

[​IMG]

9. whazzup

Modified the Touchscreen Keyboard template for the HP Slate 500 and Asus EP121. Or rather, I have the hp slate, but not the asus, so I'm just using its screen resolutions.

This idea behind this is a combination of HVK's Touchscreen keyboard and the Twosides keyboard.

The way to use split keyboards like UMPC and Twosides is to hold the tablet with two hands and hit the keys with the thumbs. However, I realised:

1. My thumbs are too short, so default key width is too wide for me to hit all the keys.
    2. I kept hitting the caps lock, tab and shift keys when I was actually trying to hit the Q, A, and Z keys. Similar story for the right hand.
    3. UMPC's curved interface is nice in theory, but I have to create a new mental image of where the keys are located. Twosides is better in this regard because the layout's the same essentially.
    4. Touchscreen Keyboard template, like the smartphones, takes out the rest of the keys and leaves the bare essentials so that more surface area is available for each key.
    5. When I'm on the go, Touchscreen Keyboard is really good for one-handed portrait operation, but not two-handed landscape operation.

With that, I started tinkering with the keyboard editor and this was my 1st version:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After using it on the slate, I found:
    1. Spacebar on the bottom is not ergonomic. Thumb needs to bend too much.
    2. Keys on the sides can be much smaller to make way for the rest.
    3. I kept typing the wrong alphabetic keys in the middle ('W''E''R', 'U''I''O', etc).
    4. Kept typing on the empty spaces in the middle of the keys, which makes the desktop active instead of the document.

So, version 2 is out with the amendments (Backup.zip has been updated with this newer edition):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've uploaded the template here, but you'll need to follow a few steps:
    1. Download and unzip 'Backup.zip' somewhere.
    2. Download 'HVKBackup.exe' and 'HVKRestore.exe' from here. Place them in the same folder as the 'Backup' folder created in Step 1.
    3. Run HVKRestore.exe
    4. If your device is the HP Slate or has a horizontal resolution of 1024, then you don't need the next step.
    5. If using this on the Asus EP121, or devices with horizontal resolution of 1280, you'll need to change the list of selected keyboards. Please refer to the picture below.

[​IMG]

6. For HP Slate: TouchScreenKB_1024_Letters and TouchScreenKB_1024_Nums
      For Asus EP121: TouchScreenKB_1280_Letters and TouchScreenKB_1280_Nums

One thing to note is that this template doesn't allow for portrait orientation, and I haven't had time to really explore the options, so use it with that in mind.

10. whazzup

And after going through Version 1 and 2, I realised the UMPC idea is not really as bad as I thought it was. It was mainly let down by the fact that they used a quarter circle template for the keyboard. The thumb's range of motion is more 1/8 of a circle. Imagine a slice of pizza on each side of the tablet.

Probably when I get the time, I'll tweak a Version 3. But I can foresee, after looking at the UMPC template, it'll take considerably longer.

And thanks again for a neat software!