virtual keyboard size

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kwg06516, Jun 14, 2011.

1. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been having a lot of fun with my new slate and I haven't had any major complaints. One thing that is bothering me is the TIP keyboard, or should I say keyboards.

What governs the size of the keyboard?

Floating TIP keyboards vary between nice, big, square keys and tiny little chicklet keys three times wider than high.

And then there's the logon screen. When I come back from sleep mode the keyboard is nice and big, covering the whole width of the screen. But from a cold start it's half that size, and with the password hidden behind dots and the keys staying dark I end up having to enter my pass with the stylus if l don't want to waste time entering it 3 or 4 times!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...and with the password hidden behind dots and the keys staying dark...>>

kw: That part is intentional. At logon, Windows intentionally suppresses both the characters and the color change on the keys that you press so that "interested" bystanders won't be so able to see what your password is...

3. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

why not Microsoft release an update for Windows 7 ahead of its Windows 8 release to provide some stable/new features and yes please replace the ugly/unstable touchscreen keyboard(Android / Windows 8 keyboard looks so cool). Who knows they may be planning one such update soon!

4. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

Because they don't want to give you sth for free. You will buy win 8 poor consumer.

[​IMG]

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

? I find the on-screen keyboard on WIndows 7 to be fine as it's easy to re-size and stays the same size etc. I rather it work than look cool.

@kurt_hectic: Huh? The same can be said of Apple customers or Android or...

6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I've found HVK (hot virtual keyboard) a perfect solutuon to the mediocre windows vk. Completely and easily customizable. It's free to try and half-price if you buy it through download.com .

7. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

I should like to think I know "why" they keep it dark, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I just want it to be bigger!

There have got to be some tweaks, somewhere I can change a 1 to a 0 or some such so that the logon keyboard is screen wide. And also somewhere I can lock the TIP keyboard to look like this:

Untitled.jpg