Very Portable, Small 10-10.5", Tablet/Laptop with Trackpad

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mr. Boosh, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed. I'd still like to lean towards an actual rigid keyboard.

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Mr. Boosh

4. Mr. Boosh

I ended up returning the Let's Note because of hardware issues. It was a very light machine but wasn't too happy with the keyboard and trackpad.

I just received a Lenovo Tablet 10 with Celeron N4100, 4GB RAM and 128GB eMMc. This is definitely the lowest spec machine I've had in a very long time. It's a tablet with magnetic keyboard dock and right off the bat the keyboard and trackpad are far better than the Let's Note. It is noticeably heavier but I think it's a worthy trade off.

[​IMG]

It has a pen siloed in the tablet portion. There are quite a few ports, 2 USB-A on the keyboard and 1 USB-A on the tablet, HDMI, USB-C, and a SIM slot. I think this may work very well in a work environment, which is exactly what I bought it for.

I think this is about my only other option for a small machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be bumping up my specifications to a sub-13" chassis. The basis for my decision is storage which I use to carry my device, so I'm making purchase decisions off of that. The machine has to be able to fit in a very specific location.

What thin and light laptop in the 12-13" screen would you guys recommend? A Dell XPS 13 would definitely work, but I'm trying to weigh my other options. The chassis needs to preferably be less than 13" long and lightest weight possible.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Lilawyn likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Why the Lenovo 10 over the Go? Or better yet, the Go 2?

Weren't you going to veterinarian school? You done?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  6. Mr. Boosh

Yes, good memory! I'm about to start my last year. The main reasoning is a rigid keyboard. I really need one based on my specific personal situation. If Brydge comes out with one of those keyboards for the Go I may reconsider. I often carry my machines around by the keyboard. I could probably make the Surface Go work, but I've come to realize how much I do prefer the laptop form factor.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I believe HP Spectre x360 13 (must be late 2019 Ice Lake) meets your overall needs. It is as short (screen and keyboard deck length) as a Macbook Air 11 (but only as of the late 2019 Ice Lake update) and has nearly non-existent side bezels, so short as possible in that dimension also. It is, however, a little heavier than some, at about 2.8 lbs. I and several other on TPCR own this and have put it through paces and it has come through with shining colors (thread.)

For a much, much lighter - and much more costly - alternative, there appears to be many of the same virtues - but very low weight of 2.1 lbs - in the HP Dragonfly. Here is a quick comparison. The Dragonfly may not be as short as the Spectre x360 so look into that.

How awesome that you are almost done with Vet school! I remember well when you were applying; I do miss our chats. All the best to you my friend!

Edit: PS: Hate to recommend the Spectre x360 to you, as it won't do me any good when you are replacing it and selling it for a great price - you know, "the crack." ;)

8. Mr. Boosh

Thank you! I've been compiling dimension specs for various laptops. I might just be fanboying over new tech, but I'm really considering the Asus Zenbook Duo. I think in a clinic setting to see when appointments arrive and for inputting records while simultaneously having other documents open. The dimensions of the two side by side are:

Asus Zenbook Duo: 12.72 x 8.78 x 0.75 in -- 3.97 lbs
    HP Specture x360 2019: 12.2 x 8.6 x 0.6 in -- 2.8 lbs

It isn't much bigger, but it is over a pound heavier. I don't think that would matter too much for me. Right now I'm going to be seeing how the Lenovo Tablet 10 fairs, but I'll definitely be putting my Surface Book up for sale and selling off the other electronics I have.

I know, it's crazy how many years it's been already! I hope you've been well and staying healthy.

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Well good luck and keep us posted.

As for electronics for sale...I already own a Surface Book (unless you have a power base, or whatever it's called), but always interested in your treasures! We're good, thanks.

10. Mr. Boosh

By Power Base are you referring to the NVIDIA eGPU? Yes, mine has it. I listed it for best offer here.