Very Portable, Small 10-10.5", Tablet/Laptop with Trackpad

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mr. Boosh, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Been awhile since I've posted a main thread for help with a device, but times have changed.

What I'm looking for is a pretty small device. It will have very limited use, mostly Chrome browser, MS Office, and VMware to access the hospital system. It can be a tablet, but it will need a keyboard attachment with a trackpad. The trackpad seems to be something hard to come by.

I need Windows and want to see if there's something a little bigger than the GPD P2 Max before I try that.

I've been anti-Apple my whole life, but I guess I could go the route of electronic-blasphemy if it's going to be my only option.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Mr. Boosh

Any ideas? I've bumped up the size a little bit to 10-10.5"

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Surface Go or Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6

sadly the Windows offerings for under 10 inches is currently quite poor,

WillAdams likes this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

I would wait for the Surface Go 2 or snatch a Go 1 at a good deal. One thing to keep in mind is that Chrome uses relatively much ram, so you may want to get the 8gb ram model or perhaps an other browser helps too (Edge Chromium seems better anyway, or perhaps Brave browser).

5. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, 10" is hard these days unfortunately.

If you are interested in used, maybe something like one of these - only listing them because I have experience with them.
    • Surface Pro 2 with keyboard cover - 10.6" screen.
    • Samsung NP300U1A-A01US - 11.6" screen, can upgrade memory/disk & replace battery.
    • Lenovo Thinkpad X120e - 11.6" screen, can upgrade memory/disk & replace battery.
    • Lenovo Thinkpad Helix 2 with Ultrabook keyboard dock - 11.6" screen.
    No experience with any of the following...

New:
    • Lenovo Thinkpad X270 - 12.5" screen.
    • Lenovo Yoga Book C930 - 10.8" screen.
    Microcenter shows a number of machines with screen < 12", some are Chromebooks, some are refurbs with Pentium, Celeron, or other CPU.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. Mr. Boosh

Thanks guys. Yea, the 10" landscape is pretty barren.

Agreed. Chrome is necessary for me, I rely on too many extensions and my main phone number is through Google Voice.

Have thought about both the Surface Pro 2 and Helix. Pro 2 might be nice for the Wacom EMR, but I really would prefer a laptop form factor with good keyboard. The Helix would obviously be a ThinkPad level keyboard but pushing it in size.

Yoga Book C930 nogo based on that glass keyboard. I need physical keys to type out medical records.

7. daddyfish

You could also see if you can find a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 for an ok price. I had a model with a m/y core and 4 gb ram. And it had a keyboard dock with a build-in battery. I accidentally broke the touchscreen and the keyboard stopped working eventually (maybe the battery, not sure) so I bought a Surface Pro 1 very cheap.
    The Dell Venue was a good device with an amazing battery-life but in the end I personally prefer the Surface form factor now (even for typing) because:
    1) kickstand is very handy for a tablet.
    2) it is easier to find accessorizes for the Surface products (keyboard cover for a price cheap etc).
    3) keys on the Surface cover type pleasant.

Now before you buy the Surface Pro 1 or 2 they both have a major downside; they are quite heavy. That is why I would recommend the Go. As a bonus the Go also has a better touch pad, improved kickstand, better screen ratio and likely a better battery. A pen is also easier to find for the Go. Since you need Chrome, I would recommend the 8gb ram version.

8. daddyfish

9. Mr. Boosh

10. daddyfish

, yeah could but just keep in mind that Chuwi brands and such often are worse with extra's / accessories (battery that degrades fast, touch pad etc, ports that are old versions) and not always reliable. So for entertainment they are fine but i am not sure if I would use one for work / hospital system.
    Than there is the fact that some Chinese devices (mostly the cheaper ones) ship with malware or adware or other potentially shady code (sometimes it is installed on the bios so reinstalling Windows won't remove it, e.g. Superfish).
    In that sense a Go (e.g. on a sale) seems like a better choice since Surface devices don't come with shady third party programs.