Very odd ssd upgrade problem

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Surfer Joe, Nov 8, 2012.

1. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you put on the 704 modded bios? Flash it W/ the new drive installed? Go to bios and tell it to use the optimized settings. I swear that fixed it for me. also a 6gbps drive. Same brand, same model. It works great! Was a frustrating few days getting it going, but I've been using it all day every day for the past 2 or 3 months now.

2. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Pen Pal - Newbie

I could not install the 704 modded bios. it said that it was older than the installed bios and stopped.
    Also, I could not do anything with the new drive installed as it only asked to insert correct boot media.

3. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Pen Pal - Newbie

SO FAR it appears that the modded 704 BIOS has helped. As well as updating the hard drive bios. Crossing my fingers, but I'm gonna keep yall updated.

4. Phenomenon

To be able to update the bios you have to open CMD and type:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe/nodate

That will trigger the program to open. You select the modded 704 BIOS and it wont stop you from updating it due to the security being removed (the addition of /nodate).

Now I read somewhere that you have to access the BIOS menu and load optimum settings. So far I can't access the BIOS (I Tried Delete, F2, F1) and I only get another screen that allows me to use tools for debugging or whatever (its a black and white screen). But even without having been able to access that screen it still works fine.

5. Phenomenon

Just reporting that the Modded 704 BIOS seems to have resolved the issue. It has not had a single corruption issue in all this time after constant use. Highly advise you all to flash the modded 704 BIOS before installing the 256 mSata drive.

6. Surfer Joe

Do you use winflash to update the bios?
    I haven't had any luck trying to update mine to 704 modded. I only have 704.

7. Phenomenon

Yes I did. Did you follow the instructions above?

8. Surfer Joe

Thanks, but at what point would you do that command in the update process?

9. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

that command is how you start the bios updating program. So from the beginning, close everything, run that command, then load up the modded bios and flash it.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe/nodate

Phenom, that's great it fixed it! Like I said after the first question about these drives, it's what worked for me. So, just to confirm, did you try the non modded 704 bios, and it did not work? If so, I wonder what the difference is, and why ASUS doesn't do it?

10. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

should check your ssd firmware version first before you are going with bios flash...