Very odd ssd upgrade problem

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Surfer Joe, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to upgrade the 64gb ssd on my ep121 and bought a crucial msata 256gb ssd.
    I installed it with no problems and was able to do a clean install of windows 8 pro 64 bit on the drive.

But then, I discovered that my win 8 was an upgrade and would not activate on a clean install, so I had to do a clean install of win 7 home premium 64 bit (which is what had been running on my old system drive with no problems) and then do an upgrade install of windows 8 pro over that to get to use my windows 8 software.
    I had some driver problems when I installed window 7 and installed those before installing windows 8.
    Anyway, I finally got windows 8 up and running fine on my new 256gb ssd.

But after a short while, windows 8 said that it had encountered a problem and was going to fix it and restart.
    It restarted, but soon it happened again.

When I restarted the tablet, it kept going into the bios when I tried to navigate the bios to check the hard drive, there was nothing and it froze completely.
    I had to turn it off via the button only.
    It kept doing that many times. Never going out of the bios, no matter what.

I put my old ssd back in and everything was fine.
    I put the new ssd in and the same thing kept happening.

I had another new, blank crucial 256gb msata and put that in, and this time a bootup message showed when I turned on the computer that said- insert correct boot media and hit any key (I use a usb keyboard with the ep 121).
    It did that repeatedly and nothing helped. I tried connecting a dvd drive with the windows 8 install disk in it before bootup but it made no difference.
    I could not enter the bios or get it to boot from the dvd like it could before.

Then, when I put the other crucial 256 gb ssd that already had win 8 on it back in, I started getting the same insert boot media and hit any key message.
    It won't go into the bios anymore or boot from the dvd.

When I put my old 64gb ssd back in, it all works perfectly.

What the heck is going on?
    I have bios 704 installed well before doing any of this.
    Is the crucial drive or size incompatible with the ep 121? But why did it work briefly?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi-
    I had similar problems with the Crucial M4 128 GB and the most recent MyDigitalSSD Bullet Proof 128GB. The stock Sandisk SSD works fine. See my post - another user claims the modded 704 BIOS fixed the problem but I would like to confirm this with another user before I go to the modded 704. My guess is the 704 BIOS has something to do with it as other non-EP121 users have a similar problem. My understanding is the faster drives boot so fast, it causes timing issues with the BIOS on boot and after sleep. I am still searching for a compatible SSD . . .

3. Surfer Joe

Thanks.
    I was looking around the forum and noticed some posts about the crucial 256gb msata and they seemed to work ok. And initially, at least, the drive worked.
    Is the 704 modded bios installed the same way as the regular 704 bios ( I used winflash to update my bios from 701 to 704 in preparation for getting windows 8))
    Where can I get the modded 704 bios?
    I'm willing to give it a try.

4. Surfer Joe

I was unable to get the modded 704 bios installed. winflash reported that it was older than the current bios installed and refused to proceed.

5. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a flag to get it to install anyway.. search, it is in this forum... (sorry, I don't remember what it is)

And yeah, I'm not making it up. I had problems w/ 3 drives from 3 different manufactures. the m4 being the drive I ended up using. It works perfectly now. Every other sleep it would not wake. Sometimes the drive would appear dead. Other than swapping drives repeatedly, updating the bios is the only change I made.

My posts on the topic are from around the start of Sep., if you want to read them. Some are in the HDD thread, stickied at the top.

6. wolfi

wolfi Pen Pal - Newbie

i has a similar error when attempting a fresh reinstall windows 8 pro after upgrading salte with SSD 256G crucial , 4G RAM and intel centrino 6230

mod 704 bios was installed in old setup Windows 7
    then i install a fresh windows 8 , everithing goes fine except one thing :
    i was unable to enter bios after a proper shutdown ( charm bar shutdown ) , only after a restart

later i bought new SSD , ram and intel centrino wifi card
    i shutdown my computer , install all stuff , plug a usb flash drive for reinstall win8 pro
    and then power on EP121 and like i suspected ep121 doesn't boot on neither usb or SSD , i've got this error message only

so like in an other post they suggest to boot on old SSD
    i reput my former SSD --> and it boot normaly
    then i try again to enter bios after shutdown --> no success
    so i restart , then do a restart OS ( not shutdown ) then i was able to enter bios
    in BIOS i disable in option the order boot sequence with no override too
    then i power off the slate

then again a put my new 256G SSD , power on and hitting F2 to enter bios and it works
    with the choice booting on my usb flash drive

7. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow ok I've had this problem too with the Crucial drive 256. I'm wondering if it's a windows problem possibly with one of their updates. I recently took it out and out back my 128. It's still working ok now, but after reading this and reading all the issues that people are getting then I'm starting to wonder how much of the problem is the OS.

8. Surfer Joe

Someone else said that it may be because the ep 121 bios can't handle the faster ssds. The crucial 256gb i had was an msata 6gb/sec and it did allow me to initially install win 7 and then the win 8 upgrade to it, but it stopped working after a couple of starts. It reported that win 8 had encountered a problem and would shut down, and after that, it would only go into a bios screen that froze if you tried to view the hdd boot menu. That behaviour changed to a dos screen asking me to insert correct boot media and try again, but it would not recognize the dvd drive attached or even let me go into the bios anymore.
    I tried another crucial 256gb msata drive and the ep121 behaved the same way (asking me to insert correct boot media and try again).
    So I have gone back to my small 64gb original ssd and it works fine, but I am still wanting to upgrade my drive to a bigger one.

9. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Surfer Joe

Thanks, but how would that fix anything?
    In my experience, asking other users who have had a similar experience and found the answer is much better than asking some tech support, especially when both hardware and software are involved.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012