Very high pitched sound coming from the machine

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Upham, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upham

Upham Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a very high pitched sound coming from my T5010, or more specifically it comes from the space left of the touchpad.

It is not there constantly, but more like on and off again, for various lenghts of time, but never more than a second or two between it starts again.
    It is there even as long as it is turned on, but I don't have to use any programs or anything for the sound to be there.

I was wondering if any of you have a similar problem, or if anyone know what can be done to fix it?

It is quite annoying to me.

2. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe low-quality capacitors on the motherboard are the problem and it doesn't go away. Might be wrong.

3. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

Some intel cpus also emit some kind of high pitch noise when scaled back. The good news is your hearing is still pretty good as you can hear the sound :) The bad news is it's a hardware issue. It has been discussed before here and on notebookreview. A possible solution is given in this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=3516

At least assuming it's the cpu-issue.

4. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

Regardless it is CPU issue or not, disable the "Popup Mode" will get hotter and use more power so the battery life will be shorten if it is using battery powered.

The noise should be come from the switching power supply unit on the board, the Coils part. If the system is in idle mode and the Popup mode is enabled, the chipset will switch off and on in high frequency to some part of circuits in Chipsets and CPU in order to save power but without losing the response of the machine. Since the current is high and low continuously due to the above reason, this changes will generate the audible sound from the Coils. Thus, you can heard the high pitched sound.

I discovered when I am using the bluetooth mouse, the sound will disappear since the bluetooth driver always trigger(weak up) the chipsets to response so the chipsets cannot go to the Popup/Popdown mode. Also, if the computer is in battery powered, the sound will be lower a lot since the chipsets originally will use less power in battery mode during the normal operation. Thus, the current changes will be less as well.

You can go to here to know more about it, http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=17917&page=5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.