Very Disappointed With Gateway Quality

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by thesandman00, Aug 7, 2006.

1. thesandman00

thesandman00 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, today i recieved my CX210X (recieved it only a couple of weeks after i ordered). To my dissmay, this tablet has the exact problems that i've seen on three other gateways, the others being at best buy and office depot. The problem it has, along with what the others had, is that the tracking of the pen is poor. I've calibrated, both in landscape and portrait mode, but to no avail. When i open up windows live journal to test it (or any program that i can write in, for that matter) the pen will be dead on in certain spots, while almost a half line off. I thought ordering from gateway direct may see an end to these problems, but it didnt.

Someone, please shoot straight with me here. Do i just have unbelievable bad luck in using three gateway's with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, or is this what a tablet pc is, nothing more than an inaccurate, expensive notebook?

2. wokao118

wokao118 Pen Pal - Newbie

well. I don't have that kind of problems with my pen (M285)maybe you should call them to get A new pen and maybe push a little harder on the screen

3. madandru

madandru Pen Pal - Newbie

I think overall most of people that have received there M285-Es are happy campers. Its just getting one thats a b*&%h.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Our review unit seems to track just fine. It sounds like bad luck. I would contact Gateway and express your interest in an immediate replacement!

5. wokao118

wokao118 Pen Pal - Newbie

and i got the noise problem with my m285-e and i'm not happy with it! i think that's just bad luck too...
    and also i'm missing the driver and software for TPM too which gateway said they will send me a copy...

6. thesandman00

thesandman00 Pen Pal - Newbie

So you guys are sure that it just happens to be terrible luck? I find it hard to believe when 4 systems i've tested all have the exact same problem. Just so you guys know, and example would be where i open up LiveJournal. I then draw a line on one of the lines on the screen, on the left side its fine. When i go further right, however, the line on the screen beings to rise from where i have my pen on the screen. And this has been the case with the other 3 units i've tested.

7. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having problems with my pen too and for once gateway was on the ball and shipped the day after I requested it. UPS on the other hand is taking their sweet time so I won't see it until Thursday. My pen seems to have problems to where it can be calibrated great for one side of the screen with it being within a pixel or two of where the pen is but the other side has issues of itbeing incredibly off, I've tried numerous techniques or calibrating but to no avail. Also it seems to jump 10 pixels (approx) to the left at random when I'm trying to write in journal or one note. It seems there are lines on the screen vertically it just does not agree with. Also the tip seemed a bit rough when I received it, and looked like someone had dropped it or something before it being shipped out, so that could explain the issues I'm having.

8. madandru

madandru Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this your first tablet?

Maybe the problem is you or you have had all funky pens.

9. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

Make sure you don't hold the pen perpendicular to the screen when it is calibrated. I find that every time I am sitting in a new position, I need to recalibrate, because if I am sitting on a couch vs sitting on desk, or having it on my lap, I am holding the pen at slightly different angles, especially in the corners of the screen.

10. Vtengstudent

Vtengstudent Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a M-285 and the pen is very accurate. The only problem I run into is when I write with the pen with less than a 30 degree angle to the screen. It jumps about two inches in a different direction. Other than that it works great.