Venue Pro 8 accessories

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ElAguila, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreecher1

kreecher1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Using the Poetic case and Microsoft Wedge Keyboard. I picked up the keyboard in "Like New" Condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $29. Love it so far!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    frason likes this.
  2. FredWisconsin

FredWisconsin Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm back again with more questions. I appreciated Zayler's response to my first post. It made me look at the SHARKK keyboard and begin to see things in a slightly different light. I guess I'm learning a little more about what my issues are as I go along.

I basically have read previous posts in this thread that have warned people that the keyboards (and folio cases) designed specifically for the DV8P are too damn small to be practical for most people. This leads, I think, to people finding other, larger keyboards that will work with a DV8P, but are a fair bit larger than the strict dimensions of a DV8P. I believe this is what you were looking for, Zayler, when you found the SHARKK. There are good reviews of the SHARKK. And, I believe there's no question that it will work fine with a DV8P. But, of course, there seems to be no folio cases that will take the SHARKK (or other, larger keyboards) and the DV8P together.

I think I have to make a decision about how important a larger keyboard is to me. I think it is important; I really don't think it will work to have a tiny keyboard, it will just be too much for me to adjust to the restrictive size. But, I still have to try to see if there is some way to combine the larger keyboard and the DV8P together into one carrying case. If the case was longer, so as to fit the longer keyboard, that would be okay, it would still fit in my back pack (and this is very important to me because I do a lot of data collection out in the field and I can really use the convenience of a folio for my work). But, a longer folio most likely will never be able to hold a DV8P securely. Right? There is just no single folio case that can be adapted to fit this purpose, I'm sure. I'd like to avoid having one case for the tablet and then another separate case for the keyboard, and having to fit both of these into my backpack for my work, but perhaps, if there's no alternative, I should re-think the "inconvenience" that this will cause me and just settle on a two-case solution.

If anyone has any suggestions to help me make a decision, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

3. Modred189

Modred189 Scribbler - Standard Member

For people looking for a good folio case for cheap:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ls_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=hardfocom-20
    $8 for a VERY solid case. It's made of a faux leather covering that is very resistant to dings and dents, and has some self-healing capability for minor impacts. It takes scuffs well, and those marks taht don't heal actually make it look nicer, adding some character. The elastic pen loop has held up for the 1.5 mo I've had it as well.
    HIGHLY recommended!

4. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

5. jcsdkx51

jcsdkx51 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you seen this keyboard from Belkin?
    HTML:
    http://www.belkin.com/us/F5L112/p/P-F5L112/
    Not exactly a case but has hinged flap for tablet stand. Just picked up a venue 8 pro with a Microsoft Edge Bluetooth keyboard for my wife but have been looking at this as a better option for when she may need to type and only has her lap available as a desk.

6. Osteoman

Osteoman Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question. I bought a Smays Micro USB to fast Ethernet adapter on Amazon so that I would have a wired internet connection for when I use my DV9P with my electronic medical record. It doesn't work. The Dell picks up that the adapter is plugged in but it doesn't install drivers or anything. I tried to install the driver manually by going through the device manager but Windows says it can't find a driver for this. One of the reviewers on Amazon says he is using it with his DV8P and that he installed the driver manually through the device manager before it worked. Not sure why mine can't. I tried just plugging it in with Wifi off and it doesn't work. I then turned on wifi to hunt the driver but, as described above, windows can't locate a driver. I searched the webb through Google to hunt down a driver to install manually. Well when you google Smays micro usb driver all you get are places trying to sell them, not places to find a driver. The explanation on Amazon from the company says to "try to install their driver" to make it work. However, no mention of how to find this illusive driver.

Amazon.com: Smays Micro USB 2.0 5 Pin to Ethernet 10/100 m RJ45 Network LAN Adapter Card for Tablet & Phone: Computers & Accessories

I am running Bios A03 still and I did notice that A05 says it "Enhances LAN dongle function". Any ideas? Anyone else using this successfully and if so, how? Should i update to A05 to see if this would allow it to work?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  7. Mi An

Mi An Pen Pal - Newbie

My desire for a hinge is to allow angling the device at will (while most stands support 1 angle, and a few support maybe 3 angles), as well as providing clamshell protection for the tablet when closed. This looks like it just protects the keyboard when closed, and I don't see any reference for support for many angles. My Lenovo board has a stand as well, and I love the actual keyboard on it.

But I appreciate the effort :hi2:

8. frason

frason Pen Pal - Newbie

The Wedge-keyboard is great, I use the Dell Folio-case with a Wedge keyboard and the Wedge mouse. Super-combo!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. mngl1500

mngl1500 Pen Pal - Newbie

New cpap machine I just got has a sd card for recording data. I have this great big external usb hub/multi memory card reader but I wanted something smaller to take with and not plug in the OTG cable to usb cable all of the time.

I ordered Micro-USB to OTG / SD Memory Card Reader Adapter(have 4 inches Micro USB Cable) for Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy S IV / S4, Galaxy Note 2 II N7100, Galaxy S III

Only bummer is it is coming here on the slow boat from China.

41mZVhFgFrL.jpg

10. Kavu2

Kavu2 Pen Pal - Newbie

This hasn't been mentioned in awhile in this Dv8P acc. thread...but for SD card info transfers via micro USB, there is nothing smaller or more useful than this item from Meenova.(kickstarter project come to fruition)
    Mini MicroSD Card Reader by Meenova

sz_quarter-560x276-q8RS50.jpg reader_with_Keys-520x300RS50.jpg

It comes w/a full sized USB adapter to plug into PC. I use it to easily transfer music/docs/pics to and from PC and Dv8P and many micro USB phones (Android/<strike>wp8</strike>). Supports MicroSDHC, MicroSDXC up to 128GB. I have a 64GB SD parked in there and attached to my keychain for actual OTG usefulness. Highly recommend.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.