Venue Pro 8 accessories

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ElAguila, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zdanee

zdanee Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you guys have an idea what USB-VGA is the best to use with the DV8P? I have an old Manhattan VGA that has a Vista driver (this one to be precise), and I can use it on my Win7 notebook, but it never worked on the DV8P (even after installing the drivers and recognizing the cards, there is no picture and the bundled application is all grayed out). I also has a Lenovo USB dock that has a similar USB-VGA installed, but I only got XP drivers for that and I couldn't make it work on Win 7 either (this one). Since these devices do the heavy stuff in software it all boils down to how good a driver the thing has, like how well it adjusts to your power-plan, how much of a resource hog it is, and what Windows systems is it compatible with. I've seen people use the DV8P with 4 external screens, I don't want anything as fancy, just my old Samsung TFT to work with it's native 1680x1050 res and do some web-surfing and video-playing, preferably on the cheap (the Manhattan card had some integrated video memory and could play back video quite well even on 1680x1050). Or maybe a good driver if you have for any for these I already have.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, what's most discussed has been DisplayLink (requires a driver, recently updated to work with Connected Standby) and an external adapter through USB, or "casting" with Miracast, which is part of Windows now, but requires an external adapter and the V8P can get very WARM using lots of WiFi. Pluggable has a Youtube video of one of their adapters plugged into a V8P driving FOUR 1680 x 1050 monitors. It's pretty impressive.

3. zayler

zayler Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, i am looking for bluetooth keyboard wiht case would be the best. Will i find one thats good and comfortable to write? I like AccuType like lenovo laptops have.
    And if not which one is the best without case for 50$ max?
    I have seen :
    Amazon.com: E-THINKER Slim Portable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case Cover Aluminum Stand Protector for Apple Ipad Mini (Dark Blue): Computers & Accessories
    and
    Amazon.com: Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Windows 8, Windows RT and Android3.0+: Computers & Accessories
    and here is one that people tend to buy
    Amazon.com: IVSO KeyBook Bluetooth Keyboard Case for DELL Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) Tablet - will only fit DELL Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) Tablet with Removable Keyboard: Computers & Accessories
    Is the last one any good?
    I am getting from amazon. So can you recommend something?

4. zdanee

zdanee Pen Pal - Newbie

The E-Thinker and the IVSO are pretty much the same in a different case. If you don't need it attached to the tablet, choose the Logitech, that will give you the most comfortable typing. It's bigger than the rest thou and as a standalone device it'll be less comfortable to carry around.

5. zayler

zayler Pen Pal - Newbie

So there is only IVSO and E-Thinker to choose from? Nothing else?
    And if so, how are they build, and how comfortable they are?

6. zdanee

zdanee Pen Pal - Newbie

There is also the ThinkOutside Stowaway. That is, if you can find one on a remotely reasonable price (hint: it was about $40 for me in 2007). The E-Thinker is a better construction, less chunky and you get the "notebook feeling", you won't need a desk to use it. But it's still a cheap Chinese keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. wzw

wzw Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the e-thinker really aluminum? I am asking because I just bought a no-brand from ebay which looks exactly like e-thinker, but it is all plastic.

8. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

I take that to mean that the STAND is aluminum.

I used to have one of the ThinkOutside quad-fold keyboards for Palm devices. It was quite a piece of engineering and folded up just a little bigger than the Palm.

9. zayler

zayler Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Osteoman

Osteoman Pen Pal - Newbie

The E-Thinker is plastic. It's light weight and good for portability and light work, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to type something long with it. The hinge is sturdy and the Dell will not easily fall out but comes out when wanted, with a gentle tug. It would not fall out/apart if you held it by just the Dell, but I wouldn't do it.

Don't expect Logitech quality here or Aluminum parts. The keys do not provide feedback and are small.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.