Venue Pro 8 accessories

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ElAguila, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scimin-tech

scimin-tech Pen Pal - Newbie

2. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, when I was looking around before I got the I-THINKER, I was looking at keyboards made for the Air. Any of them with the slots will work, the Air has a similar thickness to the DV8P (~.3 vs. .35). Plus with the Air you'll have less width than the OG iPad. On the plus side, you get extra space on the keyboard and it will be more similar to a regular size keyboard. On the down side, it takes up more room. Having a ZAGG BT keyboard in the past for an iPad, they are nicely built.

The dimensions of the Mini are .28" while the DV8P is .35" so a hinge with a bit of give and enough height will work for both, hence the I-THINKER. The only problem with these other KB's is their price, being quite expensive in comparison. Honestly the only things that got me to buy the ZAGG was the price, build, and backlighting. If I didn't get it cheap, $35, I wouldn't have bothered.

If it doesn't take much modding, I'll try and get the DV8P to work with the ZAGG, if not I'm not going to bother and probably send it back before it tear it up.

3. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, that's a good idea. I actually found the Zagg keyboard from 1saleaday website where I usually get brand new items at half the price if they're brand new. I've bought monitors, televisions, etc (brand new) from there without any issues. The Ipad air one was going for only $35. On Amazon it's $79.99. Def not worth that price tag. I should have bought the one on sale. Oh well. What can ya do :).

4. Modred189

Modred189 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just recieved my Ithinker (red one).
    My impressions are mixed. First, for a BT3.0 keyboard, the price is right ($25). And the size will come with some tradeoffs.
    First, the weight is right (light) and the hinge is surprisingly substantial. I was worried that the weight of the tablet would have it tippling around, but it is surprisingly secure.

I am not as big of a fan of the key quality. THe keys have more travel than I thought they would (which is good) but they are very wobbly in their tracks. THis makes it so that you have to hit the keys pretty hard in order to make sure you register a hit. The FN keys also are a mixed bag. FN1 and FN2 are labeled as decreasing and increasing screen brightness, but 1 did nothing, and 2 brings up the help menu for the top app.9,0 and - mute, decrease and increase the volume as labelled, but the rest do nothing. The iPad "home" button actually launches IE when on the desktop, but does nothing in the Start Screen.

Mine also has a bit of a curve to it, and flexes in the middle when typing, albeit only a bit. I only ntice it at certain times, and the appearance bugs me, but does not impact teh functionality.

At the end of the day, for the price, it's a great option, but it is not a top end device.

5. Osteoman

Osteoman Pen Pal - Newbie

I concur completely with your comments Modred. It is nice maybe for travel purposes but for daily driver not great. I bought a Logitech 810 which fits in the same small bag I gave the Dell in and is a real keyboard. Backlit too. Course it's 69-99 dollars

6. Eric the Ricer

Eric the Ricer Pen Pal - Newbie

7. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Got the ZAGG keyboard in. Wow, this thing is ridiculously nice. It’s super sturdy with, I believe, a aluminum build. The keys have a very nice rubberized feel to them with good spacing, great feel, solid travel and a more traditional layout. The keys are not only backlit, but also red, light blue, green, yellow, purple, and white… crazy. I can now see why this thing retails for $100, seriously, it’s that nice.

The bad news, as opasha mentioned, is that the DV8P won’t fit. And after looking at it and seeing if there was a way to possibly get it to work, there isn’t an obvious one (at least not one I would really want to do. The hinge is just too short and tight to be able to hold the Dell. What I’m thinking about doing is to just get a portable stand and use it as a wireless keyboard, and possibly remove the hinge. It’s nicer and thinner than any of the other wireless keyboards I’ve seen, and it’s basically the same size as the DV8P, actually a bit less than an inch shorter.

So it looks as though the I-THINKER is the best solution for a clamshell style keyboard. It’s unfortunate too, because the ZAGG is ridiculously nice.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

8. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

9. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree 100%. I wish it fit. I currently have this extra keyboard laying around, which comes close to the Zagg in terms of functionality, but the key clicks and build quality is def not as premium as the Zagg keyboard. It feels a bit flimsy when I type. However, it can change to all those colors and brightness can be adjusted, so it's def a nice cheap option if you just want a keyboard.

Amazon.com: SHARKK® Backlit Keyboard Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Ultra-Slim Illuminated Keyboard WITH CARRYING POUCH for iOS / Android / iPad / iPad Air / iPad mni Retina / iPad mini / iPad 4,3,2 / iPhone / Samsung Galaxy Tab / Google Nexus / Windows / An

10. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro. So much better and easier to use this for simple/moderate tasks and not have to carry a 7-10lb laptop used for gaming and rendering work.

So far I have the OEM Dell Folio case I bought for $19.99. I have a IVSO OTG cable on the way from Amazon and a 64GB Sony microSDXC.

Obviously SanDisk's Extreme Pro/Plus series are the fastest but with DV8P microSD slot limited to approximately 22-25 Mb/s that would be a waste of money. Transcend's 300x Premium series was the best price/performance ratio of ,icroSD cards after looking at Tomshardware's benchmarks. I chose Sony because for $3 more you get a more reliable/bigger brand, similar if not better speeds, and the dust/xray proof specifications. I will try to run a benchmark on the sd card when it arrives Wednesday. Tried really hard to see if I could convince myself in buying the 128gb SanDisk microSD but I couldn't. I'll wait for more 128gb offerings and a nice price drop to around $.50/1gb.

The only accessories I need now is the Dell Stylus and probably Bluetooth keyboard and mouse later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.