Venue Pro 5130 CPC shuts down hard when charger disconnected

Discussion in 'Dell' started by xrayzebra, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

My Venue Pro 11 5130 CPC shuts down hard when the charger is disconnected. Whether started while charging or charger is attached while already running, the tablet goes black immediately when the charger is disconnected.

It is as if once the charger is attached, the tablet goes into running on charger alone, bypassing the battery entirely. When the charger is unplugged, the shut down is instant.

Any idea on this issue?

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried refreshing Windows to make sure it's not something with Windows first?

3. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

It would not have occurred to me that a Windows issue would result in a hard shut down - I would think if it was a Windows issue, the tablet would at least go through a normal shutdown sequence. This is behaving as if the power was disconnected.

4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could be a kernel power problem. I've seen this happen before, where the computer just shuts down as if the AC and battery were yanked. Generally speaking a kernel_power failure shows up as an Event ID 41.

Go and check your Event Viewer to see if Windows is reporting any problems. If nothing stands out from the logs, see if refreshing your Windows helps too. If a refresh doesn't help, go into the BIOS and perform a hardware diagnostic run, specifically the Mem diagnostics.

5. elyl

elyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like you might have a faulty battery, the fact that the screen's going black straight away, it's not shutting down, it's powering off.
    Might even be the motherboard connection to the battery.
    Either way, you need to phone Dell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.