Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Robotica72, Nov 5, 2013.

1. EmergencyMedic

EmergencyMedic Pen Pal - Newbie

Pop it on YouTube, let's see this beauty in action

Does it fast charge when peripherals attached or trickle?

Time I Enjoy Wasting is Not Time Wasted....

2. cameld00d

cameld00d Pen Pal - Newbie

EPIC! I did something similar with my cable but I didn't have a hub that worked... UNTIL NOW :)

I cleaned out big lots of all of their usb hubs and the one that worked the best is the Duracell one for $5 (model BIG-UC-015)

So V3D, did you put a resistor in the circuit in addition to the switch there?

3. afacciponti

afacciponti Pen Pal - Newbie

WOW that looks perfect, would you be able to put a walk-through up or some instructions i.e parts and how you built it!!!!

4. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

The switch was already part of this hub, it turns the power on or off to the hub. The 1.5k resistor was added to allow the tablet to charge. the 4th port of this hub is now the host port where you connect the tablet. the original USB cable is now just for power.

To use it I just plug the hub into any USB charger. The needs to be hub is switched off while connecting the tablet to the modified 4th port. The tablet will start charging then just flip the switch on to connect the hub & connected devices to the tablet.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. Vrokolos

Vrokolos Pen Pal - Newbie

Does this power external hds also?

If so.. How much are you selling these? :)

Also can I use this to charge both the v8p, my nokia 920 and an external hd with a single usb charger?

6. tarra3

tarra3 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same question :) I am thinking this plus one of those USB docking stations would be a great combo for work.

7. alnajmi

alnajmi Pen Pal - Newbie

I think Dell disabled this feature on purpose since Lenovo miix 8 has exactly the same hardware yet can charge and connect to other peripherals at the same time!! I tried several kinds of cables and setup for my v8p but no go! Btw, I own both devices if you are wondering.

8. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

It is not "disabled"... If it where, after charging has started the data lines would be disconnected.

The Dell charger is only 2 Amp & what I am seeing now is connecting almost anything else while the tablet is in use is using more current than available from the charger causing the battery to continue draining.

I connected a other 2 amp charger into the USB hub with the Dell charger for 4 Amps total, now the battery charging even while playing HD videos with USB devices connected.

[​IMG]

Update: Fully Charged!
    [​IMG]

9. Vrokolos

Vrokolos Pen Pal - Newbie

hmmm is there any usb charger available with more then 3 amps?

10. cameld00d

cameld00d Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey your name means the star :)

Can you just use a basic otg cable or do you have to use the otg charge cable with the miix?